• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Evans Creek update/ success story

Dogboy

Me and my cousin went up to Evans Creek today (Saturday the 13th) to retrieve a riding lawn mower one of our friends left up there. (it quite running so they left it with the intention of coming back this weekend like we did).

So we grabbed the lawn mower and picked up a few of the larger items we saw laying on the trail, like a 4cly motor, and 2 front bumper... We were taking the lawn mower to our friends recycling center so we went ahead and grabbed the other things too.

Anyway, an '97 ext cab, short bed Dodge Ram 150 with 33's fit up the Lower 311 with only a dent on the front fender which wasn't even really that bad, and a broken sway bar mounting bolt (those trucks definitely need the sway bar...)!
That being said, the first time he went up it last 4th of July, he pretty much destroyed both sides of the truck (FordZuki was there, so he remembers it).
But hey, somebody gave him a couple beers for making it and "modifying" the body, even though he doesn't drink.

And some pics
Here's what the truck looked like after he got it but before it had seen any trails:
Dodge.jpg

Here's the small dent we got!
DSCF0006-3.jpg

And, what the truck looks like after seeing the 311 twice
DSCF0008-4.jpg

DSCF0007-5.jpg

It was pretty rough after it's first 311 trip... We had to use a pry bar to get the door open, because it wouldn't open even by pushing on the inside. That's why it has the green door now, and it still doesn't close right most of the time.

just thought I'd share our day

Last edited:
Errr...Um. Looks like he drug something home too. Or someone rather. :eeek:

Good to see he's picking his lines a little better. Can't wait for him to get the scout out on the trails.

Well, my cousin and our friend went up there last weekend. My cousin rode his dirtbike and our friend rode his riding lawn mower (why, I don't know...). Our friend was on the bike/ quad trail that parallels the entry road out of the main parking lot (it's between the 102 and the main road, if that makes sense).
It quite running, so instead of towing it all the way back to the truck, they just pushed it over the edge down to the road where they could then pick it up (it wasn't too far). It got about half way down and stopped (upright, so it didn't leak anything). I don't know why they didn't get it the rest of the way, but they planned on coming back this weekend to get it, like we did. Then we ended up running the 311 with the mower in the bed, and picking up some of the bigger piece of garbage along the way (we got the 2 bumpers, an engine block, and I think a sun visor, haha).

The "thing" under the truck is actually Ross, he was looking at his driveshaft to make sure he didn't nail it like he did the last time. The 311 has definitely changed since this time last year. My Ranger has walked right up it twice without even spinning a tire, or getting a single dent, and the Dodge also went right up it.

Derek, yeah he REALLY does need to get that damn Scout done... He has too many projects and losses interest in all of them before he's done though... Right now he has the Scout (it's pretty close to being done), his gokart (4cyl 550 out of a street bike!!!), and a bunch of stuff on his Dodge and stuff around their house (his dad is REALLY putting his to work around the house)

Last edited:
Well thanks for picking it up and the rest as well :awesomework: Kick your friend in the nuts for being stupid and irresponsible :booo:

a riding lawnmower as an off-road vehicle. believe that belongs in the carlos mencia 'dur dur dur' book :eek: :booo:

a riding lawnmower as an off-road vehicle. believe that belongs in the carlos mencia 'dur dur dur' book :eek: :booo:

I think you're right, haha.
My cousin and his group of friends used to ride lawn mowers around in his field all the time. Then we all got our license and quite riding them in favor of real 4wds and dirt bikes.

I saw this thread before heading up to Evans today. Later on, a few of us were talking to the FS ranger and she asked us to keep an eye out for a riding lawn mower that someone may have dumped up there. :D I let her know that you guys came back and got it.

Where did you find the engine block? She mentioned that there might be one off of 102 somewhere. We never made it down that way to look.

Thanks!
Haha, she probably thought we were lieing to her and that we were dumping it up there... I kinda figured that's what it might look like because we got done talking to her and we then headed up the 311 with it in the back of the truck...

The motor was maybe 200 yards into the 102 from where it starts on the main road. It was sitting at the edge of one of the mud holes. Then the 2 bumpers were up in the campground area.

Just curious, if anybody has gone over past the gravel pit towards the top of the 102/ bottom of the 198. me and my buddy are going up on Tuesday to probably run the 311 and maybe head over to the 102 and run down it, I just don't know how much snow is on teh road, or even on the 102 itself.

Last edited:
haha, thanks Chop Shop!

I'll let them know, and they might even take it as a compliment :awesomework: ! (I've riden a mower maybe once, so I'm semi-normal)

Last edited:
Thanks!
Haha, she probably thought we were lieing to her and that we were dumping it up there... I kinda figured that's what it might look like because we got done talking to her and we then headed up the 311 with it in the back of the truck...

The motor was maybe 200 yards into the 102 from where it starts on the main road. It was sitting at the edge of one of the mud holes. Then the 2 bumpers were up in the campground area.

Just curious, if anybody has gone over past the gravel pit towards the top of the 102/ bottom of the 198. me and my buddy are going up on Tuesday to probably run the 311 and maybe head over to the 102 and run down it, I just don't know how much snow is on teh road, or even on the 102 itself.

the only trail with snow still is upper 311-B and that was only on the road after you complete the trail. that was 2 weeks ago and buy now i'm sure everything is passable :awesomework:

Ok, cool!

I was surprised how little snow had melted from the campground though. Granted a lot melted but with that week of 85 degree weather, I figured it would have been all gone up there.