• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Evans width restriction

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
So since it has been in place for a while now whats the feedback on it?

Anybody been denied that you know of and/or go arounds created?

I haven't been up there in well over a year and hope soon to change that..

Our club as a whole hasn't been up there since the changes. 3/4's of us do not fit the restrictions. Just one more loss to add to the list.:mad:

80" wide gatekeeper for vehicles. The whole place is closed in the winter time so a bird that has never been seen in the area can mate and nest.

So since it has been in place for a while now whats the feedback on it?

Anybody been denied that you know of.

Couple years ago guy was wheeling alone when he was ran over by his own vehicle while scouting the trail. It broke his leg and he was crawling down the trail when a group of wheelers found him and took him to to get help. That group of regulars all have vehicles that are about 4" too wide, so they are not allowed on the trails anymore.

Here is the thread. They are a great group of guys, its a shame the USFS decided that they are "bad" for the trails. http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54394&highlight=evans+creek

I spent 3 days torching and winching a Cherokee off a trail that was ignored for years. I also helped with some other vehicle recoveries and cleanups, my vehicle is also 4" too wide to be up there.

Last edited:
80" wide gatekeeper for vehicles. The whole place is closed in the winter time so a bird that has never been seen in the area can mate and nest.

The alleged bird had to go somewhere when they logged all around evans. :stirpot:
They can't log Evans, so it was a natural choice for a habitat. :awesomework:

I have been out once this year, and it was to evans, because I didn't have to buy a case of passes to go there. My rig fits just fine, because I built it to fit the trails. :fawkdancesmiley:

The alleged bird had to go somewhere when they logged all around evans. :stirpot:

I have been out once this year, and it was to evans, because I didn't have to buy a case of passes to go there. My rig fits just fine, because I built it to fit the trails. :fawkdancesmiley:

I ran all the trails in my truck with no problems too. The 1985 4runner I was following was all smashed up from rubbing and he was about 6" narrower then my truck. I built it to fit the trails, then non wheelers decided it didnt fit.

:awesomework:

I forget the reason why exactly its closed, but its not a bird. Sorry, but your wrong. The bird in question is a goshawk, and has already done its mating and nesting for the year. Its never been seen for a reason, unless you know what to look for, you just wont see it.

I forget the reason why exactly its closed, but its not a bird. Sorry, but your wrong. The bird in question is a goshawk, and has already done its mating and nesting for the year. Its never been seen for a reason, unless you know what to look for, you just wont see it.

Start coming to the meetings instead of guessing

I went to Evans a month ago for the first time in over two years. The 311 trail is a road. There were two cops with full gear and rifles patrolling our trails on a 6X6. After all the twenty or thirty users that might use the place on an average weekend need all the protection they can get, right?

I cannot imagine a pack of Jeeps or Toyotas humming through 1/4000th of the forest could possibly be near as disturbing to a handful of birds as the massive amount of logging they did during the closure. Period.

That aside, I built my rig to fit the trails just fine. It's not our fault the trails we built our rigs for are being changed or closed. My rig is 78" bulge to bulge... and puts strong V8 power through 40 splines into 38 inch TSLs. It makes a great damage fixer.

"Restoring the trails to their original condition" is what the Forest Service calls it. I couldn't agree more.
:beer:

My ride fits just fine. No one I wheel with has any issues either. I haven't had any issues with the law yet, but I don't go asking for their attention either. I don't mind the two officers but I do agree the intensity of patrol they do is over kill.

Your rig must fit between two tall posts set 80 inches apart.

thanks for the info Horus.

it's been awhile since I've been wheeling but now with buying MarcW's jeep and putting my dana60 dually frt and hd70 in the rear I don't know how wide it's going to be...:mad:

thanks for the info Horus.

it's been awhile since I've been wheeling but now with buying MarcW's jeep and putting my dana60 dually frt and hd70 in the rear I don't know how wide it's going to be...:mad:

Didn't you have a 1st gen? Club cab?

Edit.

My 91 Dodge W250 is 79 inches wide at the rear axle. Tires are BFG 315-75-16 (35s). The Warn hubs stick out past the outer lip of the front wheels about .750. Not sure what the backspacing on the wheels is. If I had flanges or the new Yukon hubs with their low profile my tow rig would fit.

Last edited:
I haven't had any issues with the law yet, but I don't go asking for their attention either. I don't mind the two officers but I do agree the intensity of patrol they do is over kill.

They are new and being very nice. At some point their "effectiveness" will be under review. Then the nitpicking starts and any reason you give them to justify a ticket or even an arrest, they'll jump on. After that they'll be following groups around waiting for you to spin a tire or touch a tree. If you wheel faster than they can keep up in their 6X6, speeding ticket.

Put it this way. Remember when it was no problem to use the short spot of Little Naches road to get your buggy from Long Meadow to Kaner? Law enforcement would leave you be so long as you did not go past the 1901 toward 410. Now thanks to more government spending and growth they are a force that specifically sits there waiting for you to make that mistake.

I see us having to load up in the Evans Creek campground and trailer our junks 30 yards over to the upper day use area every time we want to run a trail in three years. Just a prediction. :awesomework: