• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

experience/oppinions on small block swap with locker?

HOrunner said:
Wondering if a lock rite in 8" diff will hold up behind small block with turbo 350 tranny and stock t-case, 35 inch tires and will axles hold up decent also? whatcha think

Lockrite will hold up fine.. .the stock carrier that holds it will not. have an extra 3rd with gears ready with a detroit or spool. start looking for a different rearend. like a 44 or 60. and randys R&P makes a kit so you can use your toyota shafts in the 60. we have made a similar system that has worked well for several applications in the past. and there is always the 9" option.....but those are just a bigger TUNA can than the 8" and matching the brakes would become an issue.

ive got a spool, 5.29, with a 5.0/auto. strength has never even been a question.
but im USUALLY a finesse driver.
but sometimes the go pedal gets the best of me.

I would go with a different rear end, as why would you put something in that you would have to baby just to eventually break it. Makes no sense to me, but you Toy guys like to be different.

TreeClimber said:
lunchbox lockers are for stock rigs that only occassionally go offroad, and then just barely. THEY ARE NOT FOR 4X4 RIGS.

A spool's fine, but I'd just weld it. Why spend money on something that's too small anyway.

Save your money for a real differnetial (Detroit/ARB) in a real axle. Something that'll last for a while.

And I prefer Detroits

T

get a 14b and never look back:D

i am not light on mine in any sense, and still runnin the origanal military issued detroit from the 70's.

edit: this is in my Bronco with 4D's and im a throttle happy type of wheeler.