• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

experience/oppinions on small block swap with locker?

HOrunner

Wondering if a lock rite in 8" diff will hold up behind small block with turbo 350 tranny and stock t-case, 35 inch tires and will axles hold up decent also? whatcha think

Try it and tell us!!!!

It should, but why not just go for the full locker like a Detroit or ARB just for the safety factor.

I think the first thing to go would be the stock carrier. However, if you are easy on it, anything will work.

It all depends on how you drive... if you use a lot of the right petal your obviously more likely to have problems. if your more of a finesse driver than you should be fine... Like Karl said, give it a shot and let us know...

My buddy has a lockrite in his 14 bolt and a big block 454 and hasnt had any problems with it so far so i wouldnt think it would be a big deal

I broke my 12 inch with too much whiskey. Oh wait are we talkin' rearends? Well there was a rearend involved.

crash said:
I broke my 8" with my 4.3

everything does break eventually, but if you set it up right and drive it with some respect I think you would be suprised how long it will last.:;I would put a spool in the back instead of the lockright

I had a 8" behind a small block/auto combo, eventually the rear went cos the auto shifted hard and got to the crush sleeve. The lockright will prolly last longer then the crush sleeve? I ended up with a D44/Toy hybrid worked great

My bro went straight to a 9" Ford with a Detroit.

03RUBICON said:
I broke my 12 inch with too much whiskey. Oh wait are we talkin' rearends? Well there was a rearend involved.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

this didn't involve another man did it??:;

sarg said:
everything does break eventually, but if you set it up right and drive it with some respect I think you would be suprised how long it will last.:;I would put a spool in the back instead of the lockright

lunchbox lockers are for stock rigs that only occassionally go offroad, and then just barely. THEY ARE NOT FOR 4X4 RIGS.

A spool's fine, but I'd just weld it. Why spend money on something that's too small anyway.

Save your money for a real differnetial (Detroit/ARB) in a real axle. Something that'll last for a while.

And I prefer Detroits

T

sarg said:

I did set it up right and I was pretty nice to it.... And it still broke.. Heck did the hammers on my 44 and didn't break it :D

TreeClimber said:
lunchbox lockers are for stock rigs that only occassionally go offroad, and then just barely. THEY ARE NOT FOR 4X4 RIGS.

A spool's fine, but I'd just weld it. Why spend money on something that's too small anyway.

Save your money for a real differnetial (Detroit/ARB) in a real axle. Something that'll last for a while.

And I prefer Detroits

T

Sh!# I ran a Lockright in the front of my old Toyota for years and I beat that poor pig. Never once had an issue with it. Not that I disagree that a Detroit or selectable locker is not better, just saying "they are not for 4x4 rigs" is silly. :stirpot:

03RUBICON said:
Sh!# I ran a Lockright in the front of my old Toyota for years and I beat that poor pig. Never once had an issue with it. Not that I disagree that a Detroit or selectable locker is not better, just saying "they are not for 4x4 rigs" is silly. :stirpot:

What engine did that Toy have. The 4 popper. The V6. or the Chevy V8?

And I stand behind my opinion, lunchbox lockers have no business in a dedicated off roader. They belong solely in occasional wheelers that don't see any abusive situations.

Of course, my opinions don't really matter. But the original request was for opinions. Hence my answer.

T

TreeClimber said:
What engine did that Toy have. The 4 popper. The V6. or the Chevy V8?

And I stand behind my opinion, lunchbox lockers have no business in a dedicated off roader. They belong solely in occasional wheelers that don't see any abusive situations.

Of course, my opinions don't really matter. But the original request was for opinions. Hence my answer.

T

my buddy James runs one in the front off his buggy its been over two years never broke it but then again he has a light foot:haha:

Attachments

• P1010063.JPG
    P1010063.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 79