• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

extracting a pilot bearing from a 22re?

Mike G

Do they make a tool for this or is there a special secret to getting these bearings out. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Do they make a tool for this or is there a special secret to getting these bearings out. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Uh... maybe something like a pilot bearing puller?

P11568310.jpg

:mad:

Possibly if it will fit in a little tiny hole but I doubt it. The puller I have only goes down to 7/8" do they make them smaller lets say 1/2".

I trick I've heard (never tried it though) is fill the hole with grease, take a bolt or drift punch that just fits the hole, and give it a smack. The grease is said to hydraulicly push the bearing out.

Yeah, that would work, only I have the slide hammer version of that---with slight modification it works comtastic!!! Er...fantastic!!!:redneck: sometimes however, it'll break the cage and all the bearings go everywhere..., then it's chisel/hammer time to get the rest of the cage out...:mad:

I trick I've heard (never tried it though) is fill the hole with grease, take a bolt or drift punch that just fits the hole, and give it a smack. The grease is said to hydraulicly push the bearing out.

Been there, tried that---and unless you have a punch that is really tight thru the hole, it doesn't work so good.....I will highly suggest wearing eye protection though, as the grease WILL squirt out around the punch!!!! (don't ask):mad::mad:

Been there, tried that---and unless you have a punch that is really tight thru the hole, it doesn't work so good.....I will highly suggest wearing eye protection though, as the grease WILL squirt out around the punch!!!! (don't ask):mad::mad:

:haha: That's why I never tried it, seemed like a big mess waiting to happen. I've got a couple sheetmetal pull rods that might do the trick.

I tried it, poped the dust cover off grease squishing out.

Yeah, that would work, only I have the slide hammer version of that---with slight modification it works comtastic!!! Er...fantastic!!!:redneck: sometimes however, it'll break the cage and all the bearings go everywhere..., then it's chisel/hammer time to get the rest of the cage out...:mad:[/QUOTe

I was thinking a slide hammer would do it, was just hopping I had something laying around here that would take care of it. Guess it will be yet another trip back to town lol

Ive done it. But i had the secret key. Gague pins. I had to get a pin that fit the whole damn near perfectly. 1 thou less and the grease squished out.

If all else fails... chisel the thing apart until youre left with just the outter race still pressed in there. Clean it up really good and let it get nice and dry, then contort yourself into funny positions and run a bead all the way around the inside of the race with your welder. Let it cool down and it will slide right out.

I use the grease trick. I wrap a punch or extension with electrical tape till it's a tight fit and hammer away. You can also wad up wet paper to do the same thing, the paper is tougher to push out of the bearing itself so the whole assembly comes out.

I use the grease trick. I wrap a punch or extension with electrical tape till it's a tight fit and hammer away. You can also wad up wet paper to do the same thing, the paper is tougher to push out of the bearing itself so the whole assembly comes out.

Same way I do it except I have a special bolt I use. The electrical tape works great as a seal.

Candle wax works great! used like the grease method with a punch and electrical tape just not as messy. Been doin it this way for years.....:corn:

Squished bread (regular white sandwich bread) into the hole works just as well as grease and is a lot less messy. I've never tried wet paper, but that's probably really similar.

Another one I've used is a carriage bolt with a little bit of the head ground down so you can slip the head into the recess behind the bearing, then slip something in next to the shaft of the bolt to keep it from slipping out to the side. Then you can slip a piece of angle iron over the bolt shaft and a nut to extract the bearing. It's harder to explain than it is to actually do...

Wet news paper strips stuffed in there instead of grease works too. If all else fails bust out the inner race cage and bearings, section the outer race almost all the way through with a dremel or die grinder and then pop it with a chisel.