• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Faces vs screen names.

patooyee

I am terrible with names in general. I used to never be able to forget a face though. Until I was about 30 I could recall a face with exacting accuracy from the day I turned 2. It was quite an amazing feat actually as I could recall meeting people form years before that never recalled meeting me and people around me were always astonished at my facial recollection. I mean, if I even so much as brushed past you on the bus, I would recall doing so the instant I saw your face 20 years later. I could not however remember a name for 5 minutes straight. I've actually had girlfriends break up with me in the past because I forgot their names. I don't know why my mind works (or doesn't) like that, but it does.

From about the time I turned 30 though my facial recognition software has been on the fritz. :) I'm still better at remembering faces than probably 90% of folks but I'm also still just as bad at names as I ever was before. The closer to 40 that I get the worse it is getting. So now I find that, whereas I used to offend people by not remembering their names, on rare occasions I am also starting to piss people off by not remembering ever having met them in the first place. It is very embarrassing and awkward.

Ultimately, I am the same way with matching screen names to actual people in real life. I don't know what it is but if you tell me your screen name in real life I probably won't remember it in 5 minutes if it meant my life. One time a while back I was talking to this guy here named rckcrwlr (or something like that) via PM for days about something, I forget what. It wasn't until like day 4 that he mentioned something about me that only someone I had wheeled with would know, so I asked him who he was and it turned out to be Mo, someone I had met on numerous occasions and spoke with at length and liked a lot. I had no clue the entire time I was talking to him and I think he was borderline offended by it since he obviously knew who he was PMing with. It doesn't mean he was any less important online than in real life in my mind though, just for some reason my mind refuses to work like that. So please don't be offended if something similar happens to you when we meet in real life vs. online. I apologize in advance and I mean no disrespect.

What's worse is that now days I have less time to surf forums and follow build threads. I guess less than I used to and also less than others because people will come up to me on the trail, recognize my buggy, and say, "Hey, that's Patooyee!" when I regrettably can't always do the same. I think a lot of ya'll's rigs are awesome. In fact, a lot of the time I see stuff on driveway-fabbed rigs that pisses me off that I didn't think of and don't have. :) I guess my ultimate point here is that, if I recognize your rig but don't know your screen name, again, please don't be offended. Or if I meet you and you tell me your screen name and I don't immediately know which rig is yours, again, please excuse me. IT'S NOT YOU, IT ME! :)

So I guess my ultimate point is that I am really looking forward to meeting some folks at Hawk Pride in June. Chances are 90% that I'll never forget your face but sadly probably 99% that I WILL forget your name or screen name. I'm pretty good at matching faces to buggies, too. So if we do meet, please don't be offended if I ask you your name two or three times. I'll get it eventually and please know that your face will most likely be etched in my brain until the day that I die.

I know some of ya'll know what I am talking about, so I'll quit talking now. :)

Re: Re: Faces vs screen names.

JJ is one of the coolest dudes next to Jimmy and Paul...although they too forget faces.
I'm bad with names, and can remember screen names mostly by association of rigs...which is why I always ask for screen names when on the trail. Hell, I was taking with tbitoy and didn't know I was taking to "The Man" until onetoncrawler told me who he was :****:
Don't feel bad jj...were all getting old brother :drinkers:

JohnG even forgot who I was even though we PMd a bunch...old fawker!

No, which is why I asked permission to scope out the 38 special at hawkpride :flipoff1:

ha

I spend a lot of time on the road, waiting on meetings, staying in hotels, etc... So I have a lot of down time to surf HL, be a post whore, blah blah blah.

So I'll know people rigs/faces/names and walk up an talk to them about their rig/ask questions/etc...

But, I rarely ever call anyone by name until I introduce myself.

I dunno, just feels stalkerish to walk up and call someone by name if they'd have no reason to know who I am...

Which is kinda weird, because I'm in sales and routinely know MUCH more about my customers than they do about me...

Unless I'm :drinkers: then it's like
"Hey <insert random persons name> remember that one time like 8 years ago in Tellico that I saw you at Fain's Ford with a loose hose clamp on your lower radiator hose and I handed you a 5/16 nut driver and you gave me a Natty light"

Then they are usually like ??? :drinkers: :dunno: ::) :mad: ???....... "Oh YEAH!" thumb.gif :drinkers:

JohnG said:
Do I know y'all?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk with my left thumb.

Nope don't reckon, but I did see you at WOD the day you were there getting a test fit in the single seater, I had brought in 2 Swedish guys from one of our European distributors to check out all the badass stuff.
was going to introduce myself before we left but I think you left or went outside while we were talking to Adam.

Actually, if we have met in real life and you think i may not know your screen name, feel free to remind me.

And tbi, if you ever see me out on the trail please make it a point to come introduce yourself. In fact, post a pic of your rig so that i might be able to catch you if i see you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

patooyee said:
Actually, if we have met in real life and you think i may not know your screen name, feel free to remind me.

And tbi, if you ever see me out on the trail please make it a point to come introduce yourself. In fact, post a pic of your rig so that i might be able to catch you if i see you.

I don't have a rig right now... Sold my old 4runner to my buddy, building another little Toyota truggy to hold me over (build thread on pirate), and got an evo2 chassis I'm gonna start on after I finish up the Toyota..

That's another reason I put my "real" name in my sig, because my screen name is stupid, awkward to say, and wouldn't even make a good nickname ::)

Didn't really think much about that when I started using it 10 years ago...

patooyee said:

My name is Kel. I usually drive crappy vehicles and try to buy parts you have stashed away in your box of awesomeness. BTW, thanks for the brake parts for the broken down Scout at Choccolocco last year....I think Ben and I used up the last of your fittings, and the technical knowledge to make them work. Though I yard saled the transfer case, the brakes are still in perfect order.

Re: Re: Re: Faces vs screen names.

lowbudgetjunk said:
My name is Kel. I usually drive crappy vehicles and try to buy parts you have stashed away in your box of awesomeness. BTW, thanks for the brake parts for the broken down Scout at Choccolocco last year....I think Ben and I used up the last of your fittings, and the technical knowledge to make them work. Though I yard saled the transfer case, the brakes are still in perfect order.

Thanks. glad i could help. And i have more fittings if you need them, kel! although i think i would be better served by carrying spare transmissions instead of fittings. :)

Once I get the Jeep finished up, I am sure I will find an obscure part for you to locate.

I am too a face guy.....sad in my line of work too. I remember 3% if my customers, maybe. 70% of my customers remember me though.

I don't think I am more interesting, just too much of an impression to ignore......good or bad

I would like to get out more and meet a few more of the board members. TacomaJD reminds me of me in my own head.....scary I know. Cole and Matt are the YouTube extraordinaires. JohnG is the OG of this board. Bones I haven't met, but seems like he'd be a pretty random guy.

The bacons are down home and remind me of my extended family. I met Tim a couple if times....once just after bonking his head on a cage minus a seat belt. I have met Adair....drove me around a circuit course and was cool. Could use a little bit of humbleness and a dose of reality. Life sucks and isn't easy.

TC and Wes Kean were down to earth and decent fellas.

And besides those guys and Ricky B, I forget most.
I have met plenty, but the only ones that stick out either are helpful or complete dicks.

It took me four trips to Morris Mountain to finally pay and they didn't want to take my money. I met Trey at Chiccolocco, but he had a broken leg so I didn't interact with him and wouldn't remember him unless I saw him at the campsite.

lowbudgetjunk said:
Once I get the Jeep finished up, I am sure I will find an obscure part for you to locate.

I am too a face guy.....sad in my line of work too. I remember 3% if my customers, maybe. 70% of my customers remember me though.

I don't think I am more interesting, just too much of an impression to ignore......good or bad

I would like to get out more and meet a few more of the board members. TacomaJD reminds me of me in my own head.....scary I know. Cole and Matt are the YouTube extraordinaires. JohnG is the OG of this board. Bones I haven't met, but seems like he'd be a pretty random guy.

The bacons are down home and remind me of my extended family. I met Tim a couple if times....once just after bonking his head on a cage minus a seat belt. I have met Adair....drove me around a circuit course and was cool. Could use a little bit of humbleness and a dose of reality. Life sucks and isn't easy.

TC and Wes Kean were down to earth and decent fellas.

And besides those guys and Ricky B, I forget most.
I have met plenty, but the only ones that stick out either are helpful or complete dicks.

It took me four trips to Morris Mountain to finally pay and they didn't want to take my money. I met Trey at Chiccolocco, but he had a broken leg so I didn't interact with him and wouldn't remember him unless I saw him at the campsite.

Ha, first time I went to choccolocco, we got there about 11pm, big bonfire at the first camp. I was trying to find out where I could park/camp...
This guy walks over and leans in the pass side window of my tow rig, beer in hand, says "Hell just park this anywhere, grab a beer and come on down to the fire!"
I was worried about blocking people in or camping somewhere I wasn't supposed to.

The guy leaning in the window says "Don't worry about it, we'll figure it out in the morning, besides, I've seen the owners wife naked!"

Yeah, it was Trey.

Good people.

lowbudgetjunk said:
. TacomaJD reminds me of me in my own head.....scary I know.

Good thing you aren't a post whore then, I don't think Hardline is ready for two of us molaugh

If I'm not mistaken, Nick (TBItoy) weren't you the one that ran into the back of my Toyota while in the midst of a clusterfuck on the trails at RBD last year near dark over on the Primos side of MM? One of those, you knew who I was when you seen my rig, but I was like "who is this fawker that keeps ramming my truck" sorta deals? Lol

Sent from my DROID4 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

I struggle with differentiating between my screen name and my actual name on a regular basis. Haha

I like to think I'm decent with faces, mediocre with names. Hell, I met up with tbitoy yesterday. Steve's good people. :Molaugh:

ibrokeit said:
I know Adam Lee :dunno:
Hey me too! :cougar:

I have peoples numbers saved in my phone by their screenname first then their real name in the last name slot.

Good stuff. I know I'm getting older, as I had an insurance lady ask my home phone # yesterday.... the first visual I had was what it's saved under on my phone "ICE2 - Home". Could not remember the number cause I never dial it anymore.... molaugh

stroyer said:
Good stuff. I know I'm getting older, as I had an insurance lady ask my home phone # yesterday.... the first visual I had was what it's saved under on my phone "ICE2 - Home". Could not remember the number cause I never dial it anymore.... molaugh

People still have home phones?

TacomaJD said:
Good thing you aren't a post whore then, I don't think Hardline is ready for two of us molaugh

If I'm not mistaken, Nick (TBItoy) weren't you the one that ran into the back of my Toyota while in the midst of a clusterfuck on the trails at RBD last year near dark over on the Primos side of MM? One of those, you knew who I was when you seen my rig, but I was like "who is this fawker that keeps ramming my truck" sorta deals? Lol

Sent from my DROID4 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Yep, I rolled up an bumped your rear tire at the bottom of RBD( when I actually talked to you),

then I think when we were trying to get back down the hill by primos, someone hit me and pushed me into you. That was a ****ing cluster ****. ::)

BUG-E J said:
I have peoples numbers saved in my phone by their screenname first then their real name in the last name slot.

X2