• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Failed Emissions 22RE

whiterice

I Have a 1986 Toyota Pickup with a 22RE. It runs pretty smooth for the most part but after it warms up the idle drops a little and kinda surges between 600-800 RPM. Then when i went to take my emissions test today i failed it due to a high Hydro-Carbon Idle. The limit was 220 and my truck registered at 281. Just curious if anybody has had a similar problem and knew if this was some kinda of sensor problem or what?? Thanks for any help in advance.

I would start with checking for codes. Get a book it's easy

Turn off the ignition.
There are two round green plugs on the drivers side between the air Filter housing and the Ignition coil.
They are technically supposed to be pluged into dead end rubber grommets which are fastened to the inside of the inner fender of the engine bay.

The one which has two wires is the test plug for the EFI system.

Using a paper clip or small guage wire "short" the plug out and turn the ignition to ACCESSORIES not start.

The "check engine" light will start to flash. These are the codes.

Common issues are TPS sensor (throttle position) and Oxygen sensor.

Other issues associated with surging idle are dirty throttle plate and incorectly adjusted throttle cable.

Toyota uses very high quality Injectors which almost never fail.
The MAF meter almost never fails or malfunctions unless serious mud or muddy water is involved.

And always a good place to start is a quality "tune up"

I never use anything other than factory parts. Most aftermarket parts houses have gone to simply the worst Chinese junk they can get thier hands on. It's sad.

Rotsa Ruck. :awesomework: Take care of that Toyota and it will take care of you.

Well don't know what happend to the reply post that said to check the malfunction codes, but here is what happened.

11 blinks:
1)AC switch
2)Throttle position sensor circuit
3)Throttle position sensor
4)computer

We put in a new Throttle position sensor and just for drill(engine has 240K)
replaced the 02 sensor as well. Result::

HC at cruise went from 133 to 43
HC at idle went from 281(fail) to 43(pass)

PASSED EMMISIONS!!!!!!!

Cancelled the dianostic codes by pulling the EFI fuse and back on the road.