• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

finding a bad lifter

Lucky Jeff

So what's the best way to find a bad hydrolic lifter? I don't want to replace all of them because it doesn't have many hours on the thing and I'm sure cam and lifters are all just happy and don't need to be broken in again. Is there any "Cleaner" way of doing it then just taking the valve covers off with the thing running?

Depends which motor. I've used vacuum hose to hear where the noise is coming from before pulling the cover. A can of "Restore" shut up the lifters in my '87 Comanche's 4.0L motor at @300,000 miles.

Pull the valve covers and try pushing down on the pushrod end of the rocker. If it compresses at all or feels spongy it is bad.

to get a general idea of location stick a long screw driver to your ear and use it as a stetha scope.. or if you have a proper one.

Or run the motor and push on each rocker to nail the bad one...

yea Walt told me to try that one. But it's in the boat.. blah, i dunno if i want oil splashing all over in there..

Anyone know if the 302's (Ford) are just a tighten and leave alone for valve adjust? Or do you actually have to adjust these ones? I still can't get an answer on whether you can even buy just one. I don't mind having to replace all of them either.

302's can go both ways depending on year.

Just an FYI most of the time in a boat it is not the lifters it is bent pushrods because of over rev when the prop clears the water.

done that, been there.

302's can go both ways depending on year.

Just an FYI most of the time in a boat it is not the lifters it is bent pushrods because of over rev when the prop clears the water.

done that, been there.

so tearing it apart before I start should be a must..

yes. I have bent pushrods enough for them to come out and the lifter then comes out and you loose all oil pressure.

I always carried a couple of spare pushrods in the boat with me, and a magnet to reinstall the lifter if need be.