• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

FJ Cruiser SAS

The_Shocker

I'm trying to get everything worked out on my SAS. I have a '79 Ford 3/4T D44HP. It supposedly has 4.11's in it right now, (However I haven't gotten it on the bench and opened up yet). I'm planning on running my stock rear for now including the E-Locker but need to regear it. It looks like I can put 4.88's into both the D44 and my stock rear. Or just swap my rear to a 4.11. I'm planning to run 37's eventually.

Questions:

Is it worth changing to 4.88's?

What front locker?

Hubs? I need to switch out the 8Lug front to match my rear, or switch the rear to 8Lug if possible?

Coilovers? I'm looking for the best deal on 14"

There have been a few people that have done this but they all differ a little. It is in essence the same as doing a Tacoma SAS.

Here is one that uses new axles and parts $$$$....
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/29803-sbechtolds-project-fj-cruiser-sas.html

Pick one ratio and run with it.

I'd re-gear to the lower ratio (higher numerically) just to cope with the bigger tires.

It won't be hard to find hubs for whatever wheel pattern you want to run. The more fancy ones can be found for more money. Just pull the trigger on whatever wheels you want to run and go with those. Either 6 or 8 lug there are applications for either so that is personal preference.

I'm a fan of the Detroit locker for the front. Yukon sells the Grizzly locker which I have heard is more bullet proof I just bought one fore my 60 but I haven't run it so I can't let you know what it's all about yet. ARB is pricey but will allow you better turning radius and more on-road flexibility. The Yukon Zip locker is similar to ARB yet FAILS in the LOCKED (spool) position so depending on your application....

As for coilovers F-O-A seems to have the best deals right now. :awesomework:

I'm a fan of the Detroit locker for the front. Yukon sells the Grizzly locker which I have heard is more bullet proof I just bought one fore my 60 but I haven't run it so I can't let you know what it's all about yet. ARB is pricey but will allow you better turning radius and more on-road flexibility. The Yukon Zip locker is similar to ARB yet FAILS in the LOCKED (spool) position so depending on your application....

First, yes the Grizzly is very similar in operation to the Detroit. I have been running one for a while now and it's been great.

Second, Yukon does several ZIP lockers, all of them except the D60 COMP version work just like an ARB, unlocked without air, locked with air. The comp version is the only one that defaults to locked position if something fails.

I'd go with something a little stouter than a D44. One of my friends has one in an older Double cab Taco and he blows something up in that thing about once a year. Cool build lets see some pictures!

I'd go with something a little stouter than a D44. One of my friends has one in an older Double cab Taco and he blows something up in that thing about once a year. Cool build lets see some pictures!

What size tires is he running? I would do a D60 like this guy, but I'm trying to keep this on a budget. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1033697
attachment.php

I will post some pics once I figure out somewhere to host them or get my star back.

Convert the D44 to 6x5.5 by using everything from the knuckles out from a Chevy 1/2 ton or Wagoneer.

Run the lowest gear ratio available.

Detroit or Grizzly locker for the front.