• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

FJ owners

hornythrony

hey i got to do some work on my father inlaws 78 cruiser and before i get in to deep and spend way to much time i thought i would just ask

so first his wipers work great and sweep prefect area but it always stops in the middle of the windshield anyone have this problem and know how to fix it?

second the steering wheel isnt straight while driving straight is it as easy and proper just to remove steering wheel and rotate it or is it key'd or something and i need to do something else to fix it

third is that the fuel tank leaks outta the top somewhere near the breather or something is this a common problem?

and now a couple things i need are 2 new boots for the shifters and the 4x4 knob on the shifter cuz someone stole it :mad:

Ive had five cruisers and the most common reason the tanks leek is the sandwhich seem along the edge gets steped on by the people getting into the back. Ive never had wipers do that before but should be an easy fix. As far as the steering wheel goes most all my cruisers were like that because the tie rod ends were worn out and their was a bunch of slop in the steering. It would get so bad that i could turn the wheel half a rotation before it would actualy turn. And i have a shift knob you can have where are you from.

hey i got to do some work on my father inlaws 78 cruiser and before i get in to deep and spend way to much time i thought i would just ask

so first his wipers work great and sweep prefect area but it always stops in the middle of the windshield anyone have this problem and know how to fix it?

second the steering wheel isnt straight while driving straight is it as easy and proper just to remove steering wheel and rotate it or is it key'd or something and i need to do something else to fix it

third is that the fuel tank leaks outta the top somewhere near the breather or something is this a common problem?

and now a couple things i need are 2 new boots for the shifters and the 4x4 knob on the shifter cuz someone stole it :mad:

The wiper motor isn't complicated. When you open it up, you'll see that there are two redundant current paths around the big gear, with a cam lobe to lift the contactor for the constant hot connection. If it's never been apart before, chances are that the factory grease has gotten all hard and is creating a spot where the contactor lifts off the trace. The other option is that the linkages have been disconnected at some point and were re-connected to the motor arm in the wrong position. The way I'm reading your description, this doesn't seem right since I think it would have to be 180* out, but my wipers are a completely different system and I'm trying to visualize the later setup.

The steering wheel is probably off due to wear in the steering box. Yes all of the steering linkage points tend to develop slop, but if it drives down the road straight and the steering wheel is crooked, it's probably the box. There is a fix for the preload on the sector shaft (not sure if that's the right term) that I remember reading about. I'll see if I can find it. In the mean time, yes you can rotate the wheel on the shaft. It should be 33 spline, with no key. Good luck getting it off. It seems the preferred method is to pull the nut off and repeatedly drive off curbs while pulling on the wheel until it pops off. Seriously.

Fuel tank problems are fairly common. If everything is in good condition with regard to the fuel return lines and the charcoal canister, it could just be rusted out. Some people have good luck lining them with kits like the one from POR-15, but steel replacements are probably the best. The consensus seems to be that plastic aftermarket replacements suck.

For everything you could possibly want to know, join the forum at http://www.ih8mud.com

For a good parts break down, check out the online catalog at http://www.sor.com - they're somewhat expensive especially for shipping and handling charges, but they have just about everything and the catalog uses a lot of the drawings from the Factory Service Manual.