• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

? for those that don't use their truck as a DD?

boxboy

can I be your friend...
Well I switched from driving my truck daily to only using it on weekends but sometimes it can sit for a couple weeks with out me driving it, I notice it starts a little harder and the batteries are suffering and other little things here and there I notice from not driving it daily... So any advice on putting my truck into a none daily driver mode, like battery tenders or anything else?

Last edited:
Well I switched from driving my truck daily to only using it on weekends but sometimes it can sit for a couple weeks with out me driving it, I notice it starts a little harder and the batteries are suffering and other little things here and there I notice from not driving it daily... So anyt advice on butting my truck into a none daily driver mode, like battery tenders or anything else?

Those little solor devices work good to give the batteries a little trickle.

Something like this? Sounds cool and gadgety I might need to get one or two.

http://www.batterystuff.com/solar-chargers/SE-2.html

solar_BatterySaver_Plus_lg.jpg

How fast does deisel oxidide compared to gasoline?

If stored properly, diesel will last for years, even decades. The biggest concerns are water accumulating in the fuel and the growth of microbes. The microbes can clog fuel lines and filters. Diesel does not require a stabilizer to keep from breaking down like gasoline does but an biocide treatment to keep the microbes from growing would be a good idea for long term storage.

If stored properly, diesel will last for years, even decades. The biggest concerns are water accumulating in the fuel and the growth of microbes. The microbes can clog fuel lines and filters. Diesel does not require a stabilizer to keep from breaking down like gasoline does but an biocide treatment to keep the microbes from growing would be a good idea for long term storage.

Ya--seen them lil organism's in fuel before. So diesel won't break down when sealed unlike gasoline....

How old is your battery?

The battery in general are fine but with all the little lights and clock and other things that draw power even when the truck is off seem to pull the battery down to where I notice it. The truck has sat for a week to as long as a mo9nth with out me driving it so even a brand new battery will start to have issues. But to answer your question I think the 2 batteries in the truck are the original 2000 batteries that came with the truck.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

The battery in general are fine but with all the little lights and clock and other things that draw power even when the truck is off seem to pull the battery down to where I notice it. The truck has sat for a week to as long as a mo9nth with out me driving it so even a brand new battery will start to have issues. But to answer your question I think the 2 batteries in the truck are the original 2000 batteries that came with the truck.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

2000? Sounds like it's time to replace them.

the batteries work just fine but I want to keep then working just fine.

Lead acid batteries only have around a 7 year service life. They're at least 7 years old from what you're telling us, and they're not going to last forever. Your symptoms sure sound like the early signs of failure, reduced capacity. The only thing you can really do to stretch them out is use a float charger to keep them topped off, but eventually they won't even hold that charge.

Lead acid batteries only have around a 7 year service life. They're at least 7 years old from what you're telling us, and they're not going to last forever. Your symptoms sure sound like the early signs of failure, reduced capacity. The only thing you can really do to stretch them out is use a float charger to keep them topped off, but eventually they won't even hold that charge.

I fully agree and if they need to be replaced then I will replace them but the brand new battery in my motorcycle does the same thing the trunk is doing, and I they get about the same usage. In my case I think new batteries will do the something with the truck just sitting for long periods of time so getting a battery tender is a great idea with either a new battery or the older ones I have.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Take a multimeter that can do amperage and see what you're drawing when it's sitting. That'll tell you for sure how bad it is vs the batteries draining eachother down or whatever.

If you have a dodge, the only thing i would before start-up after extended periods of sitting, would be, pull the oil intake line off the top of the turbo, and throw a little oil down on to the turbo's bearings.

I use a battery cut-off for the rigs I have that sit (some sit from months and most have old, crappy wiring jobs with all sorts of draws). Definatly makes the day better when you hop it to move it and you don't get a RRrrRR..... click!.

Course, if you have clocks and such you want to save the setting on, your SOL.
________
Blowjob tubes

Last edited:
My F-250 sits for weeks or months at a time...Unless I have to mow the lawn. :haha:
It pretty much starts when I need it, but it takes a lot of cranking to get the fuel back up to the carb. Helps to have an oversize battery in it, also.
Haven't done anything special with it, but it doesn't have anything electronic in it that draws juice when its off, either.
Best bet is one of those battery tenders, like the one above.

And yea, your batteries are ready for replacement. Its time... Don't feel bad, tho. A new battery in Las Vegas lasts about 1 or 2 years at the MAX in that heat!

Dodges are lame and over rated :looser: :stirpot: :corn: :fawkdancesmiley: I have a 2000 ferd stuperduty 7.3L :redneck:

Fawk:haha:

But its something that most don't think about doing before starting up after long periods