• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

For those who run plastic seats

I worry about this with my Kirky's. I do have 5 inches of padding below my tail bone.....but nothing that's impact worthy.

Plastic seats...... :puke:

I thought it was going to say the seat's broke in half and they got slung around.

But with a hit like that there is a lot of seats that will have the same results.

I have rolled every way imagneable. I will always have suspension seats.The only related seat inury was a passenger not having his shoulder harness tight.

It's not difficult to figure out. 4" or so of bungy cord under you ass or nothing.

Most definately nothing under your ass is just as good:rolleyes:

But it is a risk some think is worth taking to have a more compact buggy, and I'm sure they know the risks.

i personally will never run those plastic seats...i learned along time ago back when i ran demo derby they are not worth a damn for absorbing any kind of impact..ive never been in so much pain after a derby...only ran it once....

We ran a Kirkey seat in our sprint car for years, with about 1/2" padding under the ass. Took some pretty good licks. The last couple of years we ran a ButlerBuilt. Very nice wrap around seats that are custom built to your body. They key to avoiding injury is being strapped in tight to a seat that will support your body. They more you can move, the more you can be injured. That's also why we wear the HANS device and have head nets or seats with built in head supports.

995821249_l.jpg

Notice how little they guys body moves even during such a hard wreck.
[youtube]6nrHZOE2P0o[/youtube]

Last edited:
My $.02

I think "hard" seats in a "rock crawler" are a bad idea at best, and dangerous at worst...
I think its all about trade-offs.
I will openly admit that its true....racecars that are normally involved in the "worst" wrecks ALL run rigid seats....BUT..
1...."most" of their big impacts are not up/down parrallel w/ the spine...and,
2....when they do get far enough off the ground for a hard straight down impact....they're having other issues and at that point its all about "survival" not comfort/minimizing injury....hence all the Hans devices, window nets, center head-catcher nets, etc....surviving a spinal injury is better than being dead. Some of the wrecks they see, a suspension seat may indead be worse due to the "can only get the belts 'so' tight" issue of a suspension seat.

In an 'offroad' rig.....there are alot of high impact straight down events.....I don't care how well belted in you are, how many Hans devices and window nets you have, you'll be pissing blood for a week after desert race in a Kirky seat...
AND....this becomes more obvious in moon buggys in competition...
all the breakover obsticles that have become popular in comps have shown this.....you break over something hard......and it doesn't matter what tires/shocks/bumps you've got, your
rock-->steel-->seat-->ass
didn't somebody in a moon buggy actually get 'kinda' hurt from exactly that last season?

sure, they're harder to fit, but 'stingers' up my spine scare the **** outta me...

--B

Latest posts