• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ford 5.4 #2 cylinder misfire

muslcr71

my buddy has a 2004 f150 4dr with the 5.4 and the number 2 cylinder is misfiring,but he has put new harness and coils,and drinks gas....and the code wont clear...what else could it be?...thanks for any help

Did he put the conductive gel on the plug when he installed the new pack? They sweat and get moisture in the sleeve

My mother in laws did the same thing, it was the injector. Swap the #2 with another injector and see if the missfire moves, if so then thats your problem.

Another prob they have besides the plugs breaking off is the early 3v injectors leak causing a hydro lock situation bending rod/s cranks and runs but miss on said cylinder caused by lack of compression! They replaced all that but not the plugs?

the reason they break is because the electrode housing sticks way down into the combustion chamber and it gets carbon build up on it. all you have to do it run a bunch of sea foam or something similar through the vacuum sytem or into the intake and clean the carbon a bunch and it will be fine. or for future reference change the plugs every 60k and you have no worries.

wannabe said:
the reason they break is because the electrode housing sticks way down into the combustion chamber and it gets carbon build up on it. all you have to do it run a bunch of sea foam or something similar through the vacuum sytem or into the intake and clean the carbon a bunch and it will be fine. or for future reference change the plugs every 60k and you have no worries.
2x

if you rule out injector and wiring and coil and plug, them do a cranking comp. test and running comp. test. ALSO, make sure the coil boot is in GREAT conditoin. fords are bad about archin from the boots, especaily if there is any sign of moisture. usually you can see carbon tracks if this is the case. but since it souds like there has already been some part swapping, go ahead and thwo one on. only 5$

If you do have a broken plug, Lisle and KD tools both make specific tools for extracting them. Also some good penetratig oil, like Kroil, on a warm engine will allow them to come out. You may have to be patient and loosen a little, then tighten a little, repeat, to get them out.

yea if it breaks atleast #2 is close to the front. wanna talk about a bad day, break #8 on an expidition!

you can also turn 1/4 turn and spray penatrating oil in, let sit for 30 minutes, another 1/4 turn, more oil, and so on. but DO NOT fill the hole up with pen. oil, use very little. it will seperate the porcalin from the part the sockets grips if you put to much in

Is #2 one of the cylinders that always gets coolant in it from the thermostat housing and causes a misfire? Or is that only a 4.6l thing? It's late and I can't remember.

grcthird said:
Is #2 one of the cylinders that always gets coolant in it from the thermostat housing and causes a misfire? Or is that only a 4.6l thing? It's late and I can't remember.

I think that was just a 4.6 issue. Ahh, bringing back memories of the mach 1.

We actually make those head at the plant I work at. Mexico used to make them and now we make them. But still at the end of the day it's a crap design and its a ford