• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ford 6 litre help

Oh and yes the batteries did fail shortly before my parents went on there last trip. 2 weeks prior to my dad's passing I put new batteries in it and from reading it sounds like bad batteries can cause some high amperage in the FICM causing a failure like this.

http://www.swampsdiesel.com/

Swamp's is the company that modded did Eddy's (guy in our club) FICM, they do awesome work...Also, one of the mods that's done is ramp upthe injector voltage from 48V to 56V...
EDIT, looks like they've ramped up another 2 volts on the HOT FICM...:awesomework:

From what a buddy told me and i was with him when it happened once if you have a tuner it will kick the ecm and you will have to have it reflashed has happened to him like 3 times just fyi for the future from what i read its a common problem.

Looks like Kevin's got ya covered. I'm still not sure about the 58v mod. I haven't read anything bad about it but I can't figure out why Ford hasn't changed the new ones if it works so well. Swamps used to send you a rebuilt FICM and let you mail in a core but it looks like now you have to get yours to them 1st. You can't go wrong with their customer service and tech support though.

i think ive swaped out 6 of them in the last month... a couple were even other shops leftovers.. lol...

i cant think of any thing bad about bumping it from 48v to 56v. that combined with one of the newer reflash's that does the inductive heating should go along was twards cureing cold stiction.... now if people would understand how important GOOD CLEAN oil is to a ford id prob have alot less work walking in the door...

X2 on the CLEAN OIL THING!!!! :cheer:
Like I said, a club member's got an '05 (Well, actually his wife does, but...:redneck: (He's actually got a '99 he drives...)), and did the HOT FICM, said throttle response was better, better low end, and quieter running...I asked him about 6 months after doing the FICM if he'd do it again---his answer--HELL YEAH...
The increase in voltage effectively reduces the current draw on the circuits in the FICM, thereby reducing the damage potential...

bumping the FICM does nothing bad and does quite a bit good. Smoother idle, better throttle response, and improved fuel economy were all noticed when I bumped mine up. I did mine back when the mod was first cracked and able to do myself. I have over 160k miles on my original FICM.
Oil changes in the 6.0 are absolutely vital to keeping injectors running smooth. And injector stiction can be cured (usually) with REV-X oil additive, my truck went from chugging and belching on start up even in summer to smooth startups and only smoking when cold out..

now if people would understand how important GOOD CLEAN oil is to a ford id prob have alot less work walking in the door...

6.0's are picky about oil level too, lot of folks will over fill the things cause it takes 15-20 minutes for the oil to all drain back to the pan after running. Overfilling causes all sorts of goofy **** to happen especially with the EGR.

Thanks for the input folks. The FICM showed up today and my dad's truck is alive and my sister is ecstatic....

SO lucky me I got a 6.0 towed into the shop---max oil pressure is 15psi.

DO leak test and its loud and no idea where. Pull the dummy plugs and stand pipes (had to pull the flippin oil rails) and all o-rings good. Great now I get to pull the turbo and go deeper....

Latest posts