• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Freeze Yer Buns Run. . .Nov. 23-25 2007

OldGreen

Is your ass too warm? Do you long for frozen nether regions? Is your idea of a good time thawing out the zipper on your pants to put them on? Is Dutch Oven cooking in knee deep snow "the only way to eat"?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, don't put the top back on your rig just yet.

FYBR 2007 is in full effect on the weekend immediately following Thanksgiving Day. This run is attaining legendary status and usually has a big turn out and has even been featured in an off road magazine. It is open to any and all that are brave enough to withstand the elements.

Where?: Naches. We'll camp in last year's campground on the Road to Crow Creek in the little hollow just before the turn off to Raven's Roost. Take Little Naches Road to Crow Creek turn off, go left over the bridge, straight for about 1/2 mile, take the first right and an immediate left into the camp site. If you are bringing a motorhome, make sure it has recovery points because it may need to be winched.

What we'll wheel? It all depends on the snow pack. If there is little snow, we'll run Kaner Flats as far towards Quartz Mountain as we can. If there is a ton of snow, then we'll try and summit Raven's Roost on the road. The main run will be on Saturday. We'll probably do a recon run on Friday night to check snow conditions. . .

What about dinner? It is a Dutch Oven FREE FOR ALL on Friday Night!!! Bring your best game and prepare to share!!! Man Quiche will be in full effect for brunch on Sunday morning.

Am I prepared? I'm not a big fan of "requiring" equipment on a run. . .but. . .suggested equipment will include the following:

Trail Leaders (first 5 or so rigs on the trail): 35-40" tires, lockers, winches, and a sense of humor
Everyone else: 33" or bigger tires, at least one locker (two is better), recovery gear. 31s on a light rig with two lockers might be OK.

WARNING: Kaner Flats is a MONSTER in the snow. We will start early, go slow and stick together. On the big climbs, no one gets more than 3 tries before pulling cable. It holds up the show too much AND tears up the trail. On the other hand, if we run Raven's Roost and a rig can't make it past a certain point, you can feel free to turn around or wait for the group to come back down. My suggestion for the smaller rigs is to pick a buddy that is set up similarly and stick with him all day.

Who's in?

Pics should be on here somewhere. . .or in the Jan/Feb issue of Crawl Mag there is a writeup.

We will make sure to either open up the trail or make it slick as snot--the weekend prior :awesomework: OG.....

And for those contiplating this--if your rig is not serviced and GOOD TO GO---don't do this run. This is one run you don't want to have things go bad....

Can you answer this for me?

"I'm not street legal, can I go?" My truck is tagged as an ORV, tires aren't covered, no turn signal (have headlights, tail lights, brake lights though).

Sounds like a fun trip and I'd love to go...

You are just fine. If there is almost no snow, you may have to trailer to the trail head, but, if it is anything like last year, we'll see snowmobiles before noon. I've heard that there is already a little snow up there.

Crashy: Thanks for the advices, and you are absolutely correct about being prepared. . .

I look forward to a conditions report from you guys before we go.

OG,
Hope to hell this year I can make it. Get a rear end back in my Jeep and I'll be ready. I need to winterize my camper but still ready to go. I will have to find someone to watch my daughter, don't think she would do well.

This makes me halfway angry that I have resevations at the dunes for thanksgiving. This run sounds like a ton of fun. I dig snow and I wanna see how the 36 iroks like it.

Cool, I think I'll aim to make this my last run before the truck goes down for the winter projects.

Probably can't camp though, would only be able to make one of the days most likely. Is it worth coming up for just say the Saturday run?

I so want to do this run cept for teh 1500 mile commute and teh fact that I am used to teh "dry heat" and now that it's gettin in to the 60's at night I'm already gettin cold, a snow run like that? I'd give it a try. I gots a heater now. :redneck:

That sounds like a hell of a fun run. Being that i am from North west connecticut it will remind me of home. Hopfully that Ruby with her 32 bfg mt`s and the rest will work well, hope to have a new front bumper and winch by then.

Kat

Sounds like a blast, BOONIE BUSTER!

Get your turd movin' for this!

Should we invite Grasshopper?

:bananallama:

i pulled my runner up there last year with a 2WD,i ended up putting on tire chains other than that no proplems

Heck yeah. . .we even had 3 motorhomes in camp. Of course, they had to be towed in and winched out. .LOL

I rode along last year and it was a blast. Some of the 2wd tow rigs had a little trouble getting in but not too bad. I will try and bring my rig up this year, not sure what the family is planning for thanksgiving. You learn alot about momentum and slow speed control fast if you never have wheeled ON the snow before, I know Brad did. Definitely fun times though.