• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Freightliner FL70 or Ford F650???

B Gillespie

2000 FL70/2000 F650
65-75k miles on both
3126 Cat/Allison in both
Same C-A, etc.

Any reason to go with one over the other? Havent seen either in person, obviously if one is trashed, mechanical problems, etc. it will be an easy choice.

They are about even money as far as the chassis goes, but the FL-70 usually has a little better fit and finish. Be sure to look at the 3126 closely. There are different horsepower versions and torque ratings on that engine. They range from 200hp with 650ft lbs of torque to 330hp with 860ft lbs of torque in that year range. Also on a note, that engine does not have a wet sleeve and canot be rebuilt but is usually good for around 300K if well maintained. thumb.gif

I'd buy the FL70 over the 650. The turning radius is the biggest advantage to me. In this class of truck, the Freightliners have held up to age better than Fords, in my experience.

Cat 3126 is a junk engine! It might be ok with a light load but if you have to work them, you are in trouble. About 10% of our fleet has the 3126 in them and they make up about 75% of our engine repairs. We have had horrible luck with them, as has everyone else that I have talked to. Let me put it this way. If you gave me a fleet of them for free and all I had to do was pay for repairs and maintenance, I wouldn't do it

Depends on what you are going to be using it for. A 3126 isn't good for heavy hauling. The FL will have some issues but so will the Ford. I prefer the FL due to turning radius like noted and it is an actual truck and not an overgrown pickup. Rockwild has a FL70 with 3126. Not bad for going down the road but you aren't going to win any speed races. The allison will help some though.

Altec%20AP40%20Cable%20Placing%20Bucket%20on%202000%20Ford%20F650.JPG

B Gillespie said:
I may hold out for one with a DT466 or B series Cummins unless these are cheap enough.

Both of those are great engines.

If you can get the 3126 CHEAP, and with only 75K miles on it, and if you are pulling light loads.....It may be ok.