• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Front Brake Issues

JEEParon

Hey ive been having some problems with my front brakes on my 95 XJ. I put some new leaf springs in the rear and needed to switch back to stock shacckles because it sat too high in the rear, so i didnt drive it for a few weeks because i was busy and didnt have time to work on it. Anywho, I got the thing sitting level and when i went to test drive it, it was pulling pretty hard to the driver side. Pulled into my driveway and smelled the lovely aroma of smoking brake pads. Before i replaced the springs, the brakes were just fine. Everytime i drive it now it will be fine for 15 or 20 mins or so, then i after i stop somewhere it will start pulling again. It works like clockwork. The weird thing is that it will pull to the left while driving, but it pulls hard to the right when i brake hard. The pads and rotors "appear" to be alright but im no expert. Anyone have any ideas?

alot of leaf spring have a left and a right side because one of them sit next or aside the 3 rd member which is a different spring check that 1 st then maybe you have a sticky caliper . I ran across that problem when I put 8 lug d 60 in a 94 wrangler needed a larger master cylinder with bigger bore to run the big brake calipers cause the old master cylinder was not pushing enough volume of fluid to the calipers and a residual valve also.theres my 2 cents good luck observe everything you did trouble shoot .mike Built2beat

You have a stuck LF caliper---either hanging on the slide pins, or the piston is hung up.......this is causing the LF to 'drag' when driving(causing the pull to the left), and when braking the RF is doing all the work (hence the pull to the right)....My 89 XJ did the same thing on me headin down the mountain after a day of hunting!!! Ended up on mine being the caliper piston hung up in the bore... Advice is to try and clean/lube the slide pins...if that doesn't help, then replace the calipers, and pads--and resuface/replace the rotors(if they're too thin to resurface...)....:awesomework:

You have a stuck LF caliper---either hanging on the slide pins, or the piston is hung up.......this is causing the LF to 'drag' when driving(causing the pull to the left), and when braking the RF is doing all the work (hence the pull to the right)....My 89 XJ did the same thing on me headin down the mountain after a day of hunting!!! Ended up on mine being the caliper piston hung up in the bore... Advice is to try and clean/lube the slide pins...if that doesn't help, then replace the calipers, and pads--and resuface/replace the rotors(if they're too thin to resurface...)....:awesomework:
i'll 2nd that.:awesomework:

also, if you end up replacing the calipers, do BOTH sides.

X3!!!!!!!! Make sure you replace BOTH calipers! Personally, I would just replace the rotors, as the LF is probably warped from the extra heat caused by the stuck caliper.

Has anyone ventured to the dark side and only replaced the bad part, Instead of the pair?

Isnt it sorta like replacing 1 bad head gasket but not the other(ie v-8 engine)?

i'll 2nd that.:awesomework:

also, if you end up replacing the calipers, do BOTH sides.

replace your calipers and flush your brakes.

X3!!!!!!!! Make sure you replace BOTH calipers! Personally, I would just replace the rotors, as the LF is probably warped from the extra heat caused by the stuck caliper.

Ah'hem....note in my post the hilighted word is plural!!!:fawkdancesmiley:But thanks fer re-enforcing it!!!:haha: And yes, the price of new rotors is very reasonable...:awesomework:

Has anyone ventured to the dark side and only replaced the bad part, Instead of the pair?

Isnt it sorta like replacing 1 bad head gasket but not the other(ie v-8 engine)?
yeh, ive seen it done. the problem is, usually the older one wont react the same as the new. and can cause a slight pull upon breaking.

OK, i'll spill my feelings more...what if there was a car with a caliper DESIGN(on one side only) that sucked? But the other side worked just fine.

Or what if the "replace both" rule was created by parts houses.

Just another random thought from Bunk

OK, i'll spill my feelings more...what if there was a car with a caliper DESIGN(on one side only)that sucked? But the other side worked just fine.

Or what if the "replace both" rule was created by parts houses.

Just another random thought from Bunk
curious.. what do u mean?

The first time it happened to me I only changed the bad one.....about a month later the other side froze:redneck:

Ill obviously clean it up with some brake cleaner, but

What do you suggest i try to lube it up with??

:eeek: why do i always find myself asking that question:haha: