• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Front end?

KarlVP

Love that TOYOTA
My D30 is bent. Should I:

A: buy a HP30 from a cherokee, truss it and call it a day?
B: Keep throwing junkyard bearings at it until I can get a 60 (prolly jan/feb '07)

you can find housings cheap as hell, sometimes free. but 90% of the guys on here will say straight 60s, i love mine.

Look at it this way Karl. Why did it bend? Will a 60 bend with the same use? Depends on what 60 tubes you have. Have you broken front shafts/ring and pinions?

crash said:
Look at it this way Karl. Why did it bend? Will a 60 bend with the same use? Depends on what 60 tubes you have. Have you broken front shafts/ring and pinions?

Not yet. I do want to step up to a 60 Eventually. THe 30 is working for what I need it for now. It's just bent and is blowing up hub/bearing assemblies.

The only problem is, the rig is my daily driver.

So here is the deal.

I could get a HP 30 from a cherokee and gear it for about $250. Upgrade the shafts and do it right for "$1000"

Or I could save that money and keep throwing $10 junkyard bearings at mine until I can afford to get a 60 in the works. They go out about once a month.

Get a used housing and swap the crap over. Don't sink $$$ into upgraded shafts and just run it the way it is.

KarlVP said:
THe 30 is working for what I need it for now. It's just bent and is blowing up hub/bearing assemblies.
:wtf:

How does a bent front axle housing eat hub bearings?

CrustyJeep said:
:wtf:

How does a bent front axle housing eat hub bearings?

sealed bearing assy. Those rely on the stub staft to retain the bearing assy and side loading them cause's the bearing to fatigue..

Wanna see something funny. watch somebody pull there shaft and try to drive off :haha: :haha: :haha:

crash said:
sealed bearing assy. Those rely on the stub staft to retain the bearing assy and side loading them cause's the bearing to fatigue..
Side load? There's a u-joint in there........

CrustyJeep said:
Side load? There's a u-joint in there........

Ya--there is a joint in there but the joint is designed to operate on one axis(if thats the correct term) and made to stay paralell from the inner-stub. When they are thrown off they totoaly strain the bearing becuase it constantly puts the joint in a bind causing a ton of stress "constantly" on the stub. I have seen it before...

crash said:
Ya--there is a joint in there but the joint is designed to operate on one axis(if thats the correct term) and made to stay paralell from the inner-stub. When they are thrown off they totoaly strain the bearing becuase it constantly puts the joint in a bind causing a ton of stress "constantly" on the stub. I have seen it before...
I would trust Crash on this one. I would just give up on the excuses and the "but the"'s and settle with his answer. And he is right too by the way.

KarlVP said:
I could get a HP 30 from a cherokee and gear it for about $250. Upgrade the shafts and do it right for "$1000"

for that much money you could get a new "Rubicon" dana 44 housing and set it up. I believe they are like $385 for a new one at the dealer for the housing. new inner axles, reuse all the outer stuff. New gears and locker and you are done.

GaryTJ said:
for that much money you could get a new "Rubicon" dana 44 housing and set it up. I believe they are like $385 for a new one at the dealer for the housing. new inner axles, reuse all the outer stuff. New gears and locker and you are done.

its still got dana 30 outers and 297x shafts, might as well get a cherokee housing, put a few gussets on the knuckles/tubes, and tubes to housing, and run it till he can buy a 60

MarcW said:
its still got dana 30 outers and 297x shafts, might as well get a cherokee housing, put a few gussets on the knuckles/tubes, and tubes to housing, and run it till he can buy a 60

I'm kinda leaning more this way.

I already have a full detroit for a 30. Plus if I truss it, and buy new gears it be a Hight Pinion.

Then when I got my 60, I could sell it (the D30) and re-coup some of my losses.

With that being said, anyone have an XJ 30 for sale?

wagoneer d-44 go for around 100.00 to 200.00 , and pretty easy to set up for coils(doing one now for a tj), just a sugestion,, still some what cheap, stroger than a d-30, and still can save for that dana 60

GaryTJ said:

d30 outers seem just fine for 35" tires and DD status. i still don't understand why people are so wrapped up about 'em :rolleyes: karl seems like you have a wheeler here and not a rock crawler. Gary has some good advice here - go with the best bang for the buck that has the least labor and avoid the headache. the important thing is to keep getting to work and be reliable enough, not necessarily bullet proof :;

SeaRubi said:
d30 outers seem just fine for 35" tires and DD status. i still don't understand why people are so wrapped up about 'em :rolleyes: karl seems like you have a wheeler here and not a rock crawler. Gary has some good advice here - go with the best bang for the buck that has the least labor and avoid the headache. the important thing is to keep getting to work and be reliable enough, not necessarily bullet proof :;

Have you seen the way I drive?

KarlVP said:
Have you seen the way I drive?

no but i'm getting an idea ... question is, can your wallet keep that up? :; get a honda to take to work, or go with gary's or crash's sound advice here ...

SeaRubi said:
no but i'm getting an idea ... question is, can your wallet keep that up? :; get a honda to take to work, or go with gary's or crash's sound advice here ...

I'd rather push my Jeep than drive a honda.

Toyoda said:
I would trust Crash on this one. I would just give up on the excuses and the "but the"'s and settle with his answer. And he is right too by the way.
Yeah you're right, I should turn my brain off and nod and agree.

:rolleyes: