• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fuel additives

Check on TDR or NW-Bombers.

There are some guys that are religious with additives in every tank, usually injector cleaner/pump lubricant. Didn't sound like it was anything you could pick up at Napa or Schucks though.

Theres a product called dieselkleen which is rated fairly high in regards to diesel additives. I have a bud that works at a truck stop, and that seems to be good stuff.

Hows about the lucas oil stuff?

I ran some in my Jeep (GAS) and it made the motor run better, but it idled high while it had the additive in it. I stopped using it because of that, but I have heard other people swear by it.

Phat 40 said:
StanaDyne.

Search online to purchase as Napa wants twice what you can buy it online for.

That's the stuff that most of the NWBombers guys recommended. Several guys said they ran it every tank for a 1-2mpg improvement. I ran it for a few tank fulls and I didn't really notice much of a difference. I can buy it locally at H&H Diesel in Fife, but haven't gotten down there lately to get any more.

J

crash said:
So you deisel guys--what are you running for fuel additives?
Diesel. :redneck: Which reminds me, fuel light came on this morning so I guess I need to add some. This 600 miles on a tank is gonna ruin me, just like my cell phone which goes for over a week on a charge that I keep forgetting to charge.
:oops:

Is an additive really necessary? Are any increases in fuel economy enough to offset the price of the additive?

Boomer said:
Is an additive really necessary? Are any increases in fuel economy enough to offset the price of the additive?
I would say it is, since North America has the lowest grade of diesel in world. That is why so many car manufacturers dont produce their diesel models in the US. ex. VW (and I hate this company a lot) had to re-enginer thier V-10 and 4cyl diesel for US production. I guess our diesel is that much worse that it can actually damage an imported diesel engine.

Toyoda said:
I would say it is, since North America has the lowest grade of diesel in world. That is why so many car manufacturers dont produce their diesel models in the US. ex. VW (and I hate this company a lot) had to re-enginer thier V-10 and 4cyl diesel for US production. I guess our diesel is that much worse that it can actually damage an imported diesel engine.

I thought that had more to do with sulfur content. What would an additive do for a Cummins running S500? I could maybe see running an additive for additional lubricity with S15 in an older diesel.

I believe you are correct on it being the sulfer content. But wouldnt an additive providing cleaning agents as well as cetane provide some advantage to offset this? Its been a while since I worked around diesels. I used to work in a bus garage for the big yellows.

The low sulphur diesel and Ultra Low Sulphur(spelling?) diesel both do a poor job of lubricating the injectors etc. Stanadyne and other additives help make your engine and fuel system parts last longer by increasing the lubrocity (word?) of the fuel. I used to use stanadyne...hated it cause it was messy, smelly, and a pain to have to add to every tank.
I run B100 biodiesel so I no longer need to run an additive:clappy:

Tankota said:
I run B100 biodiesel so I no longer need to run an additive:clappy:

What's that runnin ya a gallon? I have been lookin at runnin it in my CTD but I would have to make it since NO ONE supplies it locally:mad:

Buddy that I work with is using this http://www.ethos1marketing.com/. Ran it in my work car and it got me 3-5 mpg's. He has been doing some testing and the results have not come back yet, thats all I can say at this time. He put it in his mom's car and she got better mpg than I did. We put 4 oz. in 1st tank and 4 oz in the crank case. Been adding 1 oz. per tank and the best I have gotten is 5 mpg on 1 tank.