• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fuel cell discussion

84turbotoy

Ok folks I am in the middle of my build and discover that the can on my old fuel cell is rusting out. It is a 12 gallon Jaz, now before I buy metal and fab a new can. should I build a low profile aluminum for more space in my bed or just build a new sheet metal can for what I have?

This is what my setup will be with current cell, I was thinking maybe a 30" long 24" wide 5" tall aluminum with foam for sloshing, to cover the whole bed floor and better weight distribution and this will also put my capacity at 15.5 gallons. So what are your opinions?

F0F948B2-3F28-45CB-901A-605C6F605C6D-15973-00000EFB83EAAD14.jpg

I would much rather have a tall skinny cell than a big flat cell.

Tall/skinny will help with fue starvation on angles.

oh, and that foam breaks down fast using the ethanol blended fuel. Ruins pumps and clogs filters :puke: :puke: :puke:

TBItoy said:

oh, and that foam breaks down fast using the ethanol blended fuel. Ruins pumps and clogs filters :puke: :puke: :puke:

What he said thumb.gif

You can buy one cheaper that you can fab it up. Guy on ebay has brand new RCI tanks cheaper than you can bug the fittings.

Just get one of them plastic rci fuel cells from jegs without foam. My brothers other buggy had foam for 1 ride it set for 2 weeks and wouldnt start because of foam was shreaded apart and clogged up the fuel lines. Like he said a tall skinny is way better!

wont work said:
You can buy one cheaper that you can fab it up. Guy on ebay has brand new RCI tanks cheaper than you can bug the fittings.
This. You can pretty much order the size you need and just mount it. Summit or jegs is also a pretty good place to look.

I believe I'd stay away from the RCI cells....Seen a couple break. GDF broke one at HPO and wasn't doing much.

Break=Cracking at the welds.

That is true. Mines cracked at the welds twice but it's a knock off of an rci. Figured the rci might be better though

TBItoy said:

:dblthumb:

wont work said:
several of us have bought these tanks. Every one of them has cracked after a few months of use. Weld them up before using them and they work okay.

if it was me i get another one just like it- bladder style is safer, plus you can reuse your plumbing, pickups and mounting system