• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fuel Cell Modification?

wgraves

Ive got a fuel cell that I need to modify. However is has already had fuel in it and now I need to cut it so that I can shorten it.
Whats the best way to get it clean enough so I that I dont blow myself up?

Thanks

Wes

If you can fill it with water or use a non flammable gas you just need to displace all of the oxygen be CAREFUL if you have a gopro set it up put it on YouTube

Re: Re: Fuel Cell Modification?

Just fill it with water a few times, a bit of degreaser a time or 2.

And let it sit outside for a few days.

I've never had a problem doing it that way.

If you are real paranoid, tape a bottle torch (or other fire source) to a pole and wave it over the tank before you start cutting/welding

it's not as safe but i've seen it done, you can purge the tanks with co2 are even welding gas like argon/co2 mix but you need to let it run for a while in the tank and test it before you cut into tank, to test get a long pipe and light it if it's going to blow it will do it then. some tanks are hard the clean because they may have dividers and some tanks have foam. so be very careful

yeah ive had people tell me they purge them with exhaust from a vehicle, i am not that trusting though

if you take all the plugs and caps off of it and rinse it with water it should be fine. If its bladder and foam less they usually just catch fire for a second or two

The guy that welded on mine told me to squirt dawn dish washing soap in it and rinse till I got no more suds. Took a lot of rinsing to get it all out. But, not a whif of a gas smell.

twiztedzuki said:
yeah ive had people tell me they purge them with exhaust from a vehicle, i am not that trusting though

This is what I do. During the summer I fix several tanks a week for a local fuel company and just run the exhaust from welder into tank and let it run for 30 so minutes before I start doing anything then while welding keep exahust going in tank.
On smaller tanks I rinse them out with soap water several times and let it sit with soapy water in it over night. Rinse again and fill with water. When you fill with water again if the crack is on the bottom you have to vent it somehow because when you get to the last spot of the weld it will start pushing your airgon away from the weld. if you need some help with it send me a pm or look it up on youtube. Lots of videos of how it is done. Just make shure you get all the gas fumes out and replaced with something nonexplosive.

X2 on purging it with exhaust from a vehicle. I wasn't so sure about it either until I saw it done. It was a small motorcycle tank, but I was pretty amazed to see it being welded on within 20 minutes of pulling it off of a running bike. Just used a hose off a vacuum duct taped to a tahoe's exhaust tip and then shoved it down in the tank with rags around the top for about 10 minutes. I'd let it go for quite a bit longer on a larger fuel cell though. I've also heard of people using dry ice for the same purpose, and I believe most airgas stores carry it. The guys talking about the dry ice were a couple old timers at a legit tin shop, so I'd trust that they know what they are talking about but I don't have any personal experience with that method, but its probably worth looking into.

If you know a place that sells dry ice, you can drain the gasoline and let it air dry then put the dry ice in to expel any gas vapors that are left over and cut / weld away.