• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fuel cell tech for dummies

Pat

I've been reading up on fuel cells but still have a couple questions- mabey I'm just overthinking.

I thought "fuel cells" had a plastic or rubber bladder and foam inside. So I am looking at the RCI 2161A for my jeep but it appears to have no bladder or foam. In fact many of the advertised "fuel cells" have no bladder or foam.

Wouldn't that be classified as a "gas tank" rather than a "fuel cell"?

And don't "gas tanks" for modern EFI engines have baffles inside to prevent sloshing and sucking air?

So why would a guy "upgrade" to a fuel cell if it's just a hollow aluminum box? Wouldn't the factory tank be safer and work better? (I know it doesn't look as cool but I'm really all about function and safety)

I also read about removing the foam from fuel cells because it messes up fuel systems and engines. Is the foam only required for sanctioned racing use and unneccesary for recreation? Does removing it defeat the purpose of using a "fuel cell"?

Also I was considering using my stock YJ pump module in the 2161A like this- http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398298 but thought mabey it would be cheaper and easier to use a less expensive cell or tank and get an aftermarket pump but I don't know what works- any advice much appreciated.

I always figgered a good ole STOCK tank was considered a "gas tank" and anything aftermarket (read custom, ie. 16x20x12 container) is a "fuel cell" I don't recall my fuel cell having any foam in it. :eeek:

I think the foam acts like a baffle, cuts down on the sloshing affect. I have a basic aluminum fuel cell from summit and it came with foam and no baffles. And it works great

I think the foam acts like a baffle, cuts down on the sloshing affect. I have a basic aluminum fuel cell from summit and it came with foam and no baffles. And it works great

Just wait 'til the foam disintegrates... It ain't pretty.

You need to replace the Foam every 5 years or less and stay away from fuel addatives like HEET.

You need to replace the Foam every 5 years or less and stay away from fuel addatives like HEET.

X2 and while you probably won't be running race fuel some brands (torco, some VP and alky) will eat the foam faster than **** through a short dog.

I always keep the foam in and have no problems.
One of my cells is a cheapie RCI thats 10 years old and no issues using sunoco 110.

The alcohol or any related fuel breaks down the foam (methanol ethanol) a lot of fuel additives use this to either boost octane, clean valves/injectors, or remove moisture. Also All pump gas contains ethanol. There is new foam out there designed to combat this problem, I'll look for a link.

I run 3 filters. 1 in the tank, 1 before the pump, and one before the carb. I have a jegs tank and If I had it to do over I would have built a custom baffled tank with no foam. the foam helps somewhat with fuel slosh but is more of a safety precaution (explosion)

Pane is where its at.

Yep. :awesomework: all the money I spent on my fuel system could have bought a pane setup. but I want to build a engine specifically for propane.

Yep thats why I haven't spent the cash on a fuel cell yet.

So for now the stock tank is getting relocated and replumbed, rewired and mabey rollover venting. :awesomework: