• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

fuel cells?

oldbeercans

so im in the market for a fuel cell and i have some dimensions i need to be within. im wondering what material i should get and why? ive found two that would work very nicely but they are alluminum. ive heard that alluminum fuel cells have a tendency to crack and obviously dont want to have to spend a few c-notes twice. what is everyone using and what problems have occured. do i need a bladder? baffles? foam? just want to know what works the first time. thanks:corn: :redneck:

i have heard cracking problems are usualy related to the style of mouting but i am not sure wheat is good or bad.

im pretty sure thats the one im going with. it has a 2" sump and comes with all the goodies. 20 gals. should be plenty. just kidding. the sump is in the wrong place.

Last edited:
At the hammers, Illyota's aluminum one cracked, and my plastic one sagged under the weight of a heavy tool bag in the heat.

If you go aluminum, mount it on some thick elastomeric isolators and it shouldnt be a problem.

never thought finding a fuel cell would be this hard. guess its back to the drawing board.

this might be a little bit ghetto, but i'm just going to throw this out... ever consider a fuel tank from an s10 blazer? it's a rectangular shape, symmetrical (not all wierdly shaped) and has the fuel pump hole in the center of the top, the filler tube is on the top close to one side. I don't know the exact dimensions but it just so happens that I have one for sale and could measure it for you if you're interested :redneck:

yes i know it wouldn't be as pretty as a fancy aluminum fuel cell, but it would be a heck of a lot cheaper...