• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

fuel filter for diesels

budgetxj

how often do you guys change your fuel filters? i ask this cause my water in fuel light came on so i cracked the bleeder on the filter and drained it. just wondering how long they last for. Its a 12v cummins if that makes any difference.

I do mine (PSD)every third oil change...
At work we recommend every 10K, and most of our diesel customers do it.

When you change the filter, turn the key on and bump the starter, ths will cause the fuel pump to run a little longer which will help prime the system after the change.

When you change the filter, turn the key on and bump the starter, ths will cause the fuel pump to run a little longer which will help prime the system after the change.

Doesn't work on a 12V, as they are a mechanical lift pump....:awesomework:
24V have that feature (if the lift pump is working!!!:redneck: )

there is a little bulb (orange) that you're supposed to push to prime the pump. It's below the filter housing if you're looking at it from the side of the truck. Takes quite a few pumps (I do 100 just because). A broom stick handle or something similar makes it easy to prime just standing next to the fender. If it is really being a pain then you can crack open a couple injector lines like 1 and 3 and wait for the fuel to start gushing out while priming. I usually don't have to do that with just a filter change. That's more for when I have the fuel lines off.

I change mine every other oil change.. so about 12-14k.

On my 97 PSD...I was told to change the filter & fill the fuel bowl up with Stanadyne. Anyone tried this?

holy crap. I don't think i'd be willing to give that one a shot.. Anyone with a Ford willing to try? Won't matter if you blow one of those up :haha:

I was told this by a local diesel shop...what's the danger?

well the one big problem I see is the fact that people say they can tell a difference when coming off of that stuff.. It runs great on the it, but then acts almost as if it NEEDS it to keep running the same. That would be exaggerated many times over using it that way.

well the one big problem I see is the fact that people say they can tell a difference when coming off of that stuff.. It runs great on the it, but then acts almost as if it NEEDS it to keep running the same. That would be exaggerated many times over using it that way.
People talk about that shiat like it is the miracle cure...not to hijack the thread, but what does everyone else run?

It's either that or , power service? I think that's the name. Those are the two main ones though that always seem to be at the top of the list anytime the topic comes up.

you guys talking about that injector cleaner stuff??:eeek:

BTW I cant bump start my 24v, it'll start.:flipoff:

you 12 valve guys...can you get to the filter from up top or do you have to come up from the ground side?

I can get to it from the top. My '97 has the hydroboost brake setup. Not sure if vacuum booster on the earlier models gets in the way of accessing the fuel filter from the top or not.