• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fullsize truck suggestions?

83yota1

Im in the market for a new (to me) truck. I want a fullsize, ext. cab 4x4 preferably short bed. I need something to tow my 3000 lb Toy and trailer, as well as a 4 place quad trailer. I also drive 60 miles a day to work and would like something comfy and good on road trips. I have about 12-14k to spend. Any suggestions? Im leaning towards

1999+ Chevy 1/2 ton (5.3 or 6.0L?)
Dodge 1/2 ton
Dodge 3/4 cummins
???????

Ive never owned a diesel, so I don't know much about them, but the power and economy is a plus. But a Chev 1/2 ton are dime a dozen and reliable.
Any suggestions and info on problems,etc with these would be cool.

Brent

Im biased when i say get a dodge diesel..They aint cheap to keep up, Thats the only downside..driving past people uphill is the upside. Dont do a gas rig unless yer alergic to diesel fumes.

Dodge Deisel, If you want the best milage get a 97 that is stock with 4.10's and the limited slip. This is the last year of the 12 valve. Only drawback is that they didn't make the extended cab with a short box yet. You should be able to find a good one for about $12k if you look hard. It would probably have about 130k on the odometer and would be in good condition. What makes the 12 valve great on a limited budget is the fact that they didn't use a computer to run the engine until 98 when they came out with the 24 valve. you should get about 21 miles to the gallon with the 12valve! This engine is reliable well over 300k and it will only stick your wallet when you change the oil (13 quarts, I think) I've had a 97 and a 01 dodge diesel and would love to have the 97 again.

Plus your getting twice the running gear over a chev 1/2 ton. Also the deisel will still get about 17mpg towing

Thanks guys. Are there any known problems with the 12v cummins? Tranny hold up to towing ok?

Another probably stupid ?. What about the V-10 dodges. There are sure alot of them in the truck trader. I think somewhere i've heard there crap, but don't know.

Thanks

Brent

83yota said:
Thanks guys. Are there any known problems with the 12v cummins? Tranny hold up to towing ok?

Another probably stupid ?. What about the V-10 dodges. There are sure alot of them in the truck trader. I think somewhere i've heard there crap, but don't know.

Thanks

Brent

Dodge autos are the weak link so look for a manual if possible.

I had a '96 V10 dodge dually with 230K for a while. Engine had never been touched and the guy I bought it from claimed the tranny was still original... I think that was abnormal though... Anyways, thing ran like a raped ape and towed fine. I got 8-10 mpg though :redneck:

If you have some free time coming, I would look south, like Texas, I bought a new dually down there, brought it up here and drove it for two years and then sold it for more than I paid for it, trucks down there are like family cars, and are a lot cheaper, the only downside is if you buy it used you are stuck with whatever comes along (no driving back to the dealer from here) I agree with Bunk, I would get a Cummins.

I agree kinda, the pre98 dodge w/5spd had crappy clutches from what I heard. You could upgrade it though. The Autos do fine as long as you don't upgrade it to much. Stick with a air filter and exhaust and the auto tranny should hold just fine. My 97 was an auto and my 01 was a stick, both were basically stock and both had almost 200k when I sold them. I had 0 repairs with both rigs.(the 97 drove better and had the more comfortable seats)
MOST people that talk about auto tranny problems have chip upgrades and other mods. If you plan to bomb the rig you should plan on building the tranny wether 5/6spd or auto!

You can get a 12v dodge until 98.5. They are way cheaper to bomb and have a few cheap quirks to deal with.

The Cummins is a good powerplant overal but everything behind is is crap for the application except maybe the rear end of the truck. Whatever you do DON'T get a V10 Dodge. Your better off with a bicycle.

Binder said:
The Cummins is a good powerplant overal but everything behind is is crap for the application except maybe the rear end of the truck. Whatever you do DON'T get a V10 Dodge. Your better off with a bicycle.

make sure if the lift pump was recently replaced--walk away from it :rolleyes: AND ask to take it on a 40 mile road test and then have them check it for codes,....

Sorry to hear about your rig crash, that sounds sketchy to me.

Do the 24v's have any inherant problems over the 12v? Should I avoid the 24V?

I was also wondering about the super dutys, either the newer ones (aren't there two sizes of diesels) or the mid-late 90's 7.3's.

Sorry for all the ?'s. I just want some opinions or first hand experiences before I dump all my money in a rig that sucks. I have family members that have had half a dozen chevy 350's and the newer 5.3's and all have gone strong well over 200k, so they're safe to me. But the diesel thing is interesting with the mileage and the torque you can get out of em.

Thanks
Brent

not sure the years but ford had a non turbo 7.3 then the turbo 7.3 now they have a 6.0 the early years ov the 6.0 sound like bad news.

I am interested in the new 6.4L coming in the 07 superduties

I currently have a superduty 7.3 turbo and I like it a lot, all except the front ball joints that is...

I guess i should have been more exact. the 24v came halfway through 98Only 12 valve trucks had chrome side mirrors. 24 have black or painted mirrors). The 12 and 24 were both great to me. I think you'll get more for your $ with a 12v, because of your budget. I still thik that if your not planning on getting crazy with the engine the drivetrain will hold fine. I would definitally go with the cummins over the ford. , like me alot of people on this forum have known people with both. I've seen WAY better reliability with the cummins engine. It's a hole diffrent argument when your talking new with warrenty. Your in a budget that reliability is a major concern. I think your only option should be what color and tranny should you get in your dodge.

H3RESQ said:
I would definitally go with the cummins over the ford. , like me alot of people on this forum have known people with both. I've seen WAY better reliability with the cummins engine. .

I have to disagree with you here. Plenty of reasons to get a Dodge if you want but reliability over a powerstroke isn't one of them in my opinion.

83yota said:
I was also wondering about the super dutys, either the newer ones (aren't there two sizes of diesels) or the mid-late 90's 7.3's.
Thanks
Brent

The biggest disadvantage to the Powerstroke is the gas mileage. A Cummins will generally get slightly better mileage. Also steer away from a used 6.0 liter Powerstroke. A few of them were real lemons from the factory and I think all of those lemons are now sitting on used car lots.:;

If you want a real diesel powered truck that will last over 300k make sure to buy a DODGE CUMMINS, it is a way better truck than a :rb: powerjoke. It will outpull and outlast any powerstroke out there. The dodge is a better truck, and it is way more reliable than a powerstroke. I am not even a Dodge fan but I own one because of how realiable they are. Manual transmissions are the best way to go for reliability IMHO. What ever you do don't listen to binder he is in denial of what he purchased evertime he gets passed by a cummins powered truck while towing!:stirpot:

Last edited:
Fullywrecked said:
DODGE CUMMINS, it is a way better truck than a :rb: powerjoke. It will outpull and outlast any powerstroke out there. The dodge is a better truck, I am not even a Dodge fan but I own one because of how realiable they are. :

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
You don't have to do much reading to learn just how reliable that Dodge really isn't.:;

Binder said:
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
You don't have to do much reading to learn just how reliable that Dodge really isn't.:;

Thats only if I buy one for somebody

Everybody else should be safe,lol...