• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Funeral etiquette?

bdillon2372

It's been awhile since I've had to attend a funeral, well my wife's aunt passed away and her funeral was today, on the way from the funeral home to the cemetery it really blew my mind at the lack of respect shown by other drivers on the road, there were people literally blowing by and cutting thru the funeral procession, kind of surprised me, I mean when I see a funeral procession I always try to pull off and let it pass by, is this normal or am I just weird? Just made me think to myself that people in general have lost respect for each other, I know there's been a few other threads on here regarding lack of respect but geez, family members of deceased deserve a little respect...

Unfortunately times have changed to the point no one has respect for anyone else. Seems we are all just in to big of a hurry. Tell Tammy we send our regards.

Yep, it's sad, respect, morals, work etiquette, all seem like a thing of the past, kind of scary to wonder what it will be like for my kids when they are grown...

i always pull over and remove my hat, its something I've did my whole life. The family of the deceased have enough to worry about, they don't need some disrespectful smart ass to deal with also.

Re:

All these thread discussions about things changing for the worse remind me of a part in one of my favorite movies, The Shawshank Redemption. Its where the old man finally gets out of prison and times had changed so much that he literally couldn't handle it. Obviously, the lesson there is that when we are living in and around the changes taking place, we seem to not notice it as much. Guess we become somewhat numb to it as well. I notice little things from time to time that have changed drastically, but when I really ponder on it as a whole, it really is sad, depressing, and just wrong. Instead of everyone knowing how to act and striving to do the best at it they can, its almost like its a lost art, or a secret code of conduct that only a few good people know how to live by. I'm not any where near perfect, but I'm very proud of my up bringing and that I know this "secret code" that is slowly going away.

Yea it crazy how people have no respect for the deceased nor the family! I always do my best to pay my respect and pull over and let it pass who cares if you don't know them just do it because it's the RIGHT thing to do, being on the other side sucks!!!

Sorry for your family's loss!

Me and the wife always pull over as a sign of respect. It means a lot to me cause I've been there... Lost both my parents in 2002, 6 months apart.
Did have a buddy that went through an intersection on a red light during the funeral procession for one of my wife's grandparents... He wasn't part of the procession, got himself a nice little ticket! Lol

I do pipeline work usually on roadsides. My whole crew will stop working, stand facing the road with there hardhats off while the funeral passes. This is there last ride. They may have been somebody in life and maybe not, they may have contributed to building this country or not, but I don't know that, I will treat them like they are somebody special. Plus let there families know you care for there loss. That's one ride well all take.

I live in Michigan and it is just crazy how people act up here it drives me crazy!!!! my grandparents moved to Cleveland Tennessee almost 30 years ago when he retired from GM, I pent most of my summers with them till I was out of school and got to know all the people that lived around him.(he lived on a dead end street on the hiwasee river). well long story short I couldn't believe it when my grandma passed away about 7 years ago all the people that lived by him stopped what they had going on and set up just about everything for the funeral and gave up houses for all the family to stay in that were from out of town and just basically handled everything for my grandpa so he didn't have to deal with it since he just lost his wife of over 50 years! then this year my grandpa passed away (on their 60th anniversary ) and they did the same thing!
it just drives me crazy that people have zero respect up here and stuff like that would never happen!

I went to a funeral a few weeks back (not my family ) and some of the relatives were taking pictures of the casket and body... One even vidoed some of the funeral , right or wrong I don't know but sure made me scratch my head !

I've always pulled over for a funeral procession. I got pissed at my grandparents funerals because people wouldn't pull over for the procession. It's not that hard to do to show a little respect and might take 5 minutes out of their precious time. It really concerns me that people just don't give a **** about each other anymore!

Regrettably I have had to attend too many funerals lately. Here in Tullahoma TN. I have been amazed at how well the people show respect and pull over. Maybe it was odd, but here we seem to not have that problem.

bdillon2372 said:
Yep, it's sad, respect, morals, work etiquette, all seem like a thing of the past, kind of scary to wonder what it will be like for my kids when they are grown...
I think I tell this to someone at least twice a week.

i do as I was raised pull over remove my hat and say a little prayer for the deceased doesn't matter if I know them or not. its amazing how many people don't do that anymore pisses me off