• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Etiquette Spinoff

matth_85

Didn't want to take over Brandon's thread (out of respect).

But he mentioned people not pulling over for a funeral procession. Lack of respect.

What about emergency vehicles? Fire trucks, Ambulance, etc.

When I was younger and starting to drive, it was a big deal (the law). You pulled over when on any road that was not divided by a permanent median (grass, concrete divider, etc.). Now people just keep on trucking unless they are at a red light it seems.

It's almost like if you even pull over now your gonna get ran the hell over by some jack ass who doesn't follow the "rules of the road".

Funeral...sorry but thats something from the south. Grew up in Yankeeland (first 34 yrs of my life) and had never seen anyone pull over until I moved to TX...I now stop and pull over FWIW.

and isnt it still the law to pull over for emergency vehicles? I am always checking my rear view when I do so some asshat thats texting doesnt plow into me..

POSYJ said:
and isnt it still the law to pull over for emergency vehicles? That's what I was getting at...

I am always checking my rear view when I do so some asshat thats texting doesnt plow into me.. Same here.

I live in Kansas and my cousin recently passed away at the young age of 38 and it moved me almost to tears as I saw all the cars pull over as we went by. Not one single car moved until we were passed and the line was quite long. I have lived in the same area almost my entire life and remember and also being taught to pull over but I have not seen a funeral precession in years maybe 10 or more as now I live out in the country and kind of lost faith in humanity. Well folks that restored it pretty quick let me tell ya.

When my granny passed I can remember the cop leading the procession would swerve into the other lane to force people off the road, I thought that was pretty cool of him

Re:

I pull over for funerals, fire, and ems being a former vol fire fighter I know first hand you never know who's driving and how familiar that they are with the equipment. **** the police they all have chips on their shoulders and they bitch about the job well the picked it....

X3 on the hat!

I'm a fireman. Career and volunteer. Also work ems on my days off. You have no idea how crazy people are until you sit behind the wheel of a emergency vehicle. We are taught that you drive with due regard. While driving you are "asking" for permission to go around other drivers. I've been doing this for 10 years now, and people do not care if you are behind them or trying to turn into somewhere. They have somewhere to be to ha know. Lol. We see it every day people on their phone or kids in the back. Music up loud. Whatever it is. People are distracted. We just have to have more patience then the other guy. Remember guys. Pull to the RIGHT. Stopping in the middle of the road or pulling to the left is not right and really makes it harder and more unsafe for the emergency vehicle to operate around you. Don't hate on all cops. They deal with complete jerks every time they go anywhere. Gotta pull over for them Too. And gotta pull over and slow down when we are operation on the side of the road. I wanna go home to my family just as much as anybody.

I had some jackass tell me "why should I pull over for them?"

Simple, imagine your kid is in that ambulance, and he's dying. How would you feel if some self-entitled prick wouldn't move out of the way? Now imagine they have to deal with about 40-50 of those on the way to the hospital because they think the same thing. Now imagine your kid could have been saved if he had more time, but he couldn't he died because of time.

I know the guy, and his kid's name. So I used his kid's name in the story. Finally the lightbulb went on.

I'll pull over everytime, and you can bet your ass I'll block any ****er who wants to ignore that fact. Funeral or EMS.

I no the sheriff personally. In our county if you don't pull over for ems you get a ticket.
If they can get your tag number.

Here's the FL law:

316.126?Operation of vehicles and actions of pedestrians on approach of authorized emergency vehicle.—
(1)(a)?Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle, while en route to meet an existing emergency, the driver of every other vehicle shall, when such emergency vehicle is giving audible signals by siren, exhaust whistle, or other adequate device, or visible signals by the use of displayed blue or red lights, yield the right-of-way to the emergency vehicle and shall immediately proceed to a position parallel to, and as close as reasonable to the closest edge of the curb of the roadway, clear of any intersection and shall stop and remain in position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, unless otherwise directed by any law enforcement officer.
(b)?When an authorized emergency vehicle making use of any visual signals is parked or a wrecker displaying amber rotating or flashing lights is performing a recovery or loading on the roadside, the driver of every other vehicle, as soon as it is safe:
1.?Shall vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle or wrecker when driving on an interstate highway or other highway with two or more lanes traveling in the direction of the emergency vehicle or wrecker, except when otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer. If such movement cannot be safely accomplished, the driver shall reduce speed as provided in subparagraph 2.
2.?Shall slow to a speed that is 20 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit when the posted speed limit is 25 miles per hour or greater; or travel at 5 miles per hour when the posted speed limit is 20 miles per hour or less, when driving on a two-lane road, except when otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer.
(c)?The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles shall provide an educational awareness campaign informing the motoring public about the Move Over Act. The department shall provide information about the Move Over Act in all newly printed driver's license educational materials after July 1, 2002.
This section does not relieve the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons using the highway.
(2)?Every pedestrian using the road right-of-way shall yield the right-of-way until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, unless otherwise directed by any police officer.
(3)?Any authorized emergency vehicle, when en route to meet an existing emergency, shall warn all other vehicular traffic along the emergency route by an audible signal, siren, exhaust whistle, or other adequate device or by a visible signal by the use of displayed blue or red lights. While en route to such emergency, the emergency vehicle shall otherwise proceed in a manner consistent with the laws regulating vehicular traffic upon the highways of this state.
(4)?Nothing herein contained shall diminish or enlarge any rules of evidence or liability in any case involving the operation of an emergency vehicle.
(5)?This section shall not operate to relieve the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons using the highway.
(6)?A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable pursuant to chapter 318 as either a moving violation for infractions of subsection (1) or subsection (3), or as a pedestrian violation for infractions of subsection (2).

HOWEVER, I got a speeding ticket a few years ago and in order to avoid points on my license there was an option to take an online traffic school. I did so and a good portion of it was on Emergency Vehicle Procedures, probably 15% of the entire class. It mentioned that when the emergency vehicle is on the opposite side of a divided highway and the median is 10' or wider you do not have to pull over. I can't find that in the code though.

I've always wondered what I'm supposed to do when the emergency vehicle has lights and sirens on but is going substantially slower than the speed limit in the direction of travel that I am going. Is it safer to pass in effort to limit the amount of time that you are a potential obstacle or to just slowly tail them creating a line of potential accident victims behind them if they were to make a sudden maneuver? And if I tail them, as people are pulling over do I just go ahead and pass them or stop to let them back in? Or do I pull up along side and force them into a ditch to relieve other drivers of a potential road hazard? (Just kidding on that last one!) This has actually happened to me a couple times and its always been very awkward.

Don't forget to pull over for tow truck drivers or pretty much anybody on the side of the road. I used to drive a big wrecker and had to go to a class one time with a bunch of cops, highway workers, and fire/ems. They were going through the statistics of how often each one got hit on the side of the road and they saved wrecker drivers for last. I guess there's a wrecker driver killed almost every week in this country because people pretty much ignore them. Yeah they've got strobes but people don't seem to care because yellow strobes cant chase you down the road and give you a ticket for not getting over.