• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Funny new sound

I went and took a look at it tonight and I came up with somewhat good news. I listened very careful to it running and determined that the noise is coming frome the right head area, maybe the cam or lifters and not the bottom end! As I went to pull the spark plug wires off one fell apart. I can't imagine that a bad wire would be making this type of internal noise, but who knows. I pulled the vavle cover off and all seems good. The plan is to get new wires and fire it back up and HOPE that might be the problem. I can only hope!

wouldnt' be the first time I have seen cooked wires on a BBC motorhome...:;

Me either and on mine no less:booo: Try and find the ones with the ceramic boots they tend to last longer. I have heat sleaves on mine as well.

Got an update, I pulled a valve cover off and started it. It's not pumping oil out the lifters. This would explain the noise I'm hearing coming from the valve train, hence the funny noise I'm hearing. I can rev it up and it barely spits out any oil so it's getting a little. Here's the confusing part, the gauge is still reading full oil pressure. So I think the crank and rod bearings are fine but maybe bad cam bearings? Not quite sure where to go next? Any ideas?

Got an update, I pulled a valve cover off and started it. It's not pumping oil out the lifters. This would explain the noise I'm hearing coming from the valve train, hence the funny noise I'm hearing. I can rev it up and it barely spits out any oil so it's getting a little. Here's the confusing part, the gauge is still reading full oil pressure. So I think the crank and rod bearings are fine but maybe bad cam bearings? Not quite sure where to go next? Any ideas?

I believe the way it oils is crank, then cam and lifters. Its possable you could have a cam bearing issue. it could also be simply a plugged port.

I believe the way it oils is crank, then cam and lifters. Its possable you could have a cam bearing issue. it could also be simply a plugged port.

It looks really clean under the valve cover, no gunk. As in my original post, the motor started losing power and got warm. Then was fine later. So that's why I'm thinking a bearing spun. It's going to a real PIA to try and pull the cam. Unfotunately I don't know where else to start.

It looks really clean under the valve cover, no gunk. As in my original post, the motor started losing power and got warm. Then was fine later. So that's why I'm thinking a bearing spun. It's going to a real PIA to try and pull the cam. Unfotunately I don't know where else to start.

drain the oil and even pull the pan if you can to see if theres any bearing debris in the pan.

You said it's only making noise on the one side, right? Did you pull the other valve cover to see if oil's getting pumped to those rockers?

The answer to that could save you a lot of diagnostic time and effort.

I've thought about this overnight and was wondering how the lifters get oil. I only pulled the right valve cover off because that's where the noise was coming from. I can only assume that both sides are not getting oil. I drove it probably 50 miles home and didn't have a problem so I'm thinking that the oil must be getting to the crank and cam.

My next step is to pull a few push rods and see if their clear, then maybe intake or oil pump. It has me baffled...