• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Galbraith Mtn for sale!

japerry

K folks, the WHIMPS just were informed that the mtn bike mecca known as Galbraith will be terminated this year.

My guess is that they want to push the city to purchase the land. They've put the opening bid at 20 million dollars.

What does this get you? about 3500 acres of land. Mtn bikers, hikers, and other groups are interested in preserving this area from development and further logging.

How could ORVs be included?
By being present in the process! They need money, they need volunteers, and they need help. I think most environmentalists and other groups are going to be more interested in seeing this area be preserved than turned into development.

3500 acres is a lot of land!
There is ample space for ORV trails, mtn biker, motorcycle, etc. Its also an excellent location, putting it right off Exit 246 south of Bellingham. It would be about as close timewise to Galibraith as it would be to Walker valley (17 miles north of Mt. Vernon @ 70mph vs 11 miles east at 40mph)

Something to think about... we help them, they help us. :cheer:

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/201...logging-on-galbraith.html#storylink=mirelated

A) we don't currently have any ORV opportunities up there, so anything would be better than what we have ever had here..

B) it is being looked at for private management.. no DNR, no City, etc. So trail development should go quicker once its purchased.

I see 3015 acres with 1400 on watershed. Doesn't sound like a good idea...

No rivers are up there to foul things up. Actually the whole thing is watershed (just different ones).. but it doesn't have the same water issues that Reiter has.

Do you have anything in writing? Or do we just donate money and hope the city will provide land to build ORV trails?

No rivers are up there to foul things up. Actually the whole thing is watershed (just different ones).. but it doesn't have the same water issues that Reiter has.

But I can see a fight over the watershed unless whatever group takes this on has the $$ to fight over it. We went over the same thing up at reiter regarding the water feed for index if you recall.

the big difference here is working with the Mtn bike group and create a joint environmental organization that would plan the trails out.

Bill Lider's arguments about Water runoff on a mtn bike trail would be similar to motorcycle or hiking trails (as Charlie has demonstrated)....

But the nice thing about this fight is that some ORV use would be much more desireable by environmentalists than the area being developed into houses. Sadly Reiter doesn't have that trade-off.

also, since its private land we wouldn't have to go through the public process. it'd be dispersed recreation on private land!

the story was talking about the city buying it, but they won't do it. So the preserve galbraith organization is trying to organize a buyout from the owner.

1. We are talking about Bellingham here. One of the most liberal tree hugging cities in Washington. The chances of whoever buys it letting ORV use on it is slim to none.

2. I was listening to KGMI this morning and they did thier morning show on this issue. ORV's were never even brought up by the hosts, but they sure were by listeners. The "watershed" issue is a main concern, and as we have learned it only takes one pain in the ass to slow the whole thing down. You think Reiter has been a long hard road? You can't even scrape the side of your house to paint here with out the health dept. showing up to test for lead.

3. Bellingham is broke. Where will the money come from? Increased gas tax? Higher sales tax? Increased property tax? Personally I am taxed to the max.

It would great to have some of that area back again. But as far as ORV use..... never gonna happen. The Mt. Biking community which is the main user group up there wants nothing to do with us. And most especially does not want us in thier areas. I tried to get a co-op of different groups off the ground here and it was undermined by someone point fingers at the free riders use of N.F., after we had started gaining ground and a mutual understanding. It pissed them all of and rightly so. So there is a justified distrust there that will be hard fought to negate. I would love to see it come about, but I am not hold what little breath I have left for it to happen.

Just saying.

The first two posts in this thread are pessimistic.

We need to start being optimistic.

NWWhiners is all about being pessimistic.

The only reason why I bring up this place as some potential is the idea that ORV users have money.... if the mtn bike community can't do it on their own, we try to get them to combine with us to get the money to preserve the area for recreation.

Yes... they'd have to make some concessions, but it'd be better than nothing right?

I'm thinking Reiter -- in reverse.. but instead of us trying to railroad the process, we come in to help make it go quicker.

Len is right about Bellingham being a liberal mecca, but this is about one thing: Money. Whoever has the most money is going to win here. I think going in with an attitude that allowing for multiple use in a responsible matter will be a hard sell; but if it can be sold, we have potential.

Lastly, why not try?

Last edited:
Lastly, why not try?

We already have a private ORV park that needs management and promotions to be successful.

Anyone ever heard of Straddaline?

With an established park needing only a little help in trouble, what makes you think you can get the whole boat built and floating even easier?

And concentrating on areas north of reiter is a waste of time IMO.

People that close to the border will just go to canada. There just isnt enough people to support it up there. Closer to the seattle area will get more peeps on board.

I know I have no intent to drive to bellingham to wheel unless its world class.

Latest posts