• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gas tank mounted in bed...

MIG'DHORSE

for those of you who have thrown the gas tank in the bed of their rig, how have you mounted it? any suggestions? toyota or not! thanks in advance.:beer:

I put a 15 gallon RCI tank in the "bed" of my CJ5 and secured it using sections of extruded aluminum pieces anywhere from 1" to 2" wide by 1/8" thick that I bolted together to create a cage of sorts. It's bolted to the floor with plates underneath the floor metal to provide reinforcement.

The aluminum was from Lowes or Home Depot and I only did this because I don't know how to weld nor do I have the equipment. I think it actually looks pretty good considering it's somewhat of a 'home-brewed' job. The tank ain't goin' nowhere.

sweet man, thanks. i've been pondering straps of some sort, mounted to a cage of sorts. i dont want it to move too much to create friction or static... and im not even sure if static is something i should worry about. i just want it to be safe and reliable.

You talking using a toy factory tank or aftermarket?

What ever you do--if you use the aftermarket style with the mounting tabs--make sure to make straps over the top of the cell also :awesomework:

factory tank. i considered re using the brackets that bolt it to the frame and going from there... just wanted to see what others have done.

Just make a couple flat platforms on each side of the tank--and bolt that puppy down--and good to go :awesomework:

One thing to remember--if you can try and mount it as low as you can--since there is the potential of alot of weight in the tank

Just make a couple flat platforms on each side of the tank--and bolt that puppy down--and good to go :awesomework:

One thing to remember--if you can try and mount it as low as you can--since there is the potential of alot of weight in the tank

sweet. thanks fabmastah crash. so from there would you find it legit to bolt these platforms to the bed? i'll keep it as low as possible. that's actually the whole reason for the tank in the bed, because i'm thinking about inboarding my springs and flatbelly to keep it low/high clearance. we'll see, though. freeway w/ inboarded springs probably isnt a good idear.:redneck:

sweet. thanks fabmastah crash. so from there would you find it legit to bolt these platforms to the bed? i'll keep it as low as possible. that's actually the whole reason for the tank in the bed, because i'm thinking about inboarding my springs and flatbelly to keep it low/high clearance. we'll see, though. freeway w/ inboarded springs probably isnt a good idear.:redneck:

This going to be a stock bed or a flatbed?

Here is what I would do..

Lop a hole in the bed so you can recess the tank into the bed a bit.

I would build a bracket on each side that would bolt to the bed(with a plate on the underside for support) that would come up to the tank..
Just make sure the base of the bracket that bolts to the bed is the same length as the hole for the most upport as possable. And I would not use anything more than 3/16" on the top side and 1/8" on the underside--no reason to make it outa 1/4"

badass. this is what i'll do, then. :awesomework: thanks man. oh, and i still need to come and catch a beer or two with you sometime.:awesomework: