• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gear pullers?

Alan

Broken on Backdoor
Hi All:

I have borrowed gear pullers over the years, and now am considering buying a set for my shop.

Any suggestions for a good quality brand?

What size is especially useful?

Thanks much!

Alan

depends on what your "pulling"! you can spend literally thousands on a "KIT", do you need a bearing seperator style, or an arm puller? each has its place. OTC is a real good quality name, they are sold on many of the tool trucks and at like tacoma screw, gonna be spendy tho... I have had several different brands from craftsman to cheepos from harbor freight, and the OTC is, by far, out-lasting them all. I use an "arm" style puller for bearings, sheaves, and pullies like 2 times a week for work. also use a "seperator" style with a press, but it could be used with a puller set-up too. good luck :awesomework:

Hi All:

Thanks guys for the responses! :awesomework:

S Box, can you explain what an "arm" style puller is? (maybe pics?!?) :D

Regards,

Alan

depends on what your "pulling"! you can spend literally thousands on a "KIT", do you need a bearing seperator style, or an arm puller? each has its place. OTC is a real good quality name, they are sold on many of the tool trucks and at like tacoma screw, gonna be spendy tho... I have had several different brands from craftsman to cheepos from harbor freight, and the OTC is, by far, out-lasting them all. I use an "arm" style puller for bearings, sheaves, and pullies like 2 times a week for work. also use a "seperator" style with a press, but it could be used with a puller set-up too. good luck :awesomework:

umm, lemmy hunt for some pics. maybe some one else can help me out? an "arm" style puller, has arms. usually the arm length is fixed but can be connected in different positions by different hole locations. there are many different types like previously mentioned.... "arm" style probably the most commom type of puller, using a jacking screw through a hub with adjustable arms that actually pull the gear or bearing from the shaft.http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?vName=Tools&viewItems=50&keyword=gear+pullerhttp://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...Search Terms&gclid=CPyUwsePwaoCFQzHKgodtU936A
sorry apparently they are just called jaw pullers. oh well you'll get the idea?
here is a variety.:awesomework:

Last edited:
Hi All:

Ah, the "jaw" type puller, I've seen/used those before.

Are certain sizes associated with certain vehicles or tasks?

Thanks!

Alan