• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

gear ratios

Chevyjoe

did FF 14 bolts come with 4.09, 4.10, or 4.11 gear ratios? i know they came with 3.73 and 4.56 from factory but what was the middle ratio they came with as i thought it was only 4.10s? also, can you run a 4.09 ratio rear with a 4.10 or 4.11 front or vice-versa or is that couple extra teeth make it not possible? finally, im going to be swappin in 3/4 ton running gear and am wondering which gear ratio to go to. the rig is a 86 chevy p/u with a 305 and sm465 and has 35s, but 37s will be next. itll be daily driven, with only a handful of highway trips. i want something thatll be fairly low, but still be able to do 60 if i have to. i was thinkin just 4.10s but then maybe 4.56s? what about 4.88s? any input is greatly aprreciated :awesomework:

4.09,4.10, and 4.11 are all the same thing basically, just different engineering programs and tooth designs have different ring gear vs. pinion gear combinations. So a Dana 44 4.09 will work fine with a 14-bolt 4.10 or 4.11.

4.88's would be pushing it on the hyway.....it would be drivable with 37's but you would be turning some rpm and that would translate to poor fuel economy and higher engine wear.....I run 6.17 with 44's and if I ever change again will go to 5.38's

Dude 4.56s are weak! The pinion gear is not that strong. Run 4.10s and you will get better mpg. :awesomework: How much low gear crawlin are you gona do with your chevy truck anyway? If your gona bob it and make it a wheeler then do what Kelly said and keep it off the road and run 5.38s.

4.56's:awesomework:

4.88's would be pushing it on the hyway.....it would be drivable with 37's but you would be turning some rpm and that would translate to poor fuel economy and higher engine wear.....I run 6.17 with 44's and if I ever change again will go to 5.38's

Dude 4.56s are weak! The pinion gear is not that strong. Run 4.10s and you will get better mpg. :awesomework: How much low gear crawlin are you gona do with your chevy truck anyway? If your gona bob it and make it a wheeler then do what Kelly said and keep it off the road and run 5.38s.

Im all for the 4.10s. Theres stock gears and easy to find replace. You can buy a whole used axle with 4.10s for what a set or 4.56 or 4.88s will cost for just the gears not counting bearings and setup labor.

If running a stick 4.10s are great gears, however if running an auto I would get some 5.13s or 5.38s.

Budget wheelers with autos suck and cant be trusted anyways.:beer:

Go with a 4 speed and 4.10s. You will like it. I ran this combo in the stomper for about 8 years on 40s with no complaints and it was cheap too. I didnt go lower untill I had 44s on it, then it got a set of 5.13s.

Im all for the 4.10s. Theres stock gears and easy to find replace. You can buy a whole used axle with 4.10s for what a set or 4.56 or 4.88s will cost for just the gears not counting bearings and setup labor.

If running a stick 4.10s are great gears, however if running an auto I would get some 5.13s or 5.38s.

Budget wheelers with autos suck and cant be trusted anyways.:beer:

Go with a 4 speed and 4.10s. You will like it. I ran this combo in the stomper for about 8 years on 40s with no complaints and it was cheap too. I didnt go lower untill I had 44s on it, then it got a set of 5.13s.

He has the SM465 with the np205 in it now. I think he will be fine with 4.10s. And like you said... they are cheap! :awesomework:

its not just a wheeler as i have to drive it to school and around town too so i cant run the deep gearing for just crawlin. it does have the 305 which is running great but is pretty gutless. i just dont know if the 305 will be able to push 37s with 4.10s. its got 3.73s right now with the 35's and is havin a hard time, especially up hills and goin into the wind; always downshifting to second. thats why i though the 4.56s would be better in the long haul ...

also its a 305, sm465, and 208 if that makes any difference. in granny low and low its crawls OK but is still to fast for anything dealin with rocks

joe 3/4 ton 410 geared axles are cheap and easy to find. just buy them then buy my old 350 I have in the shop and you will be far ahead of spending money on axles then gears and still dealing with the anemic 305.
:puke:

joe 3/4 ton 410 geared axles are cheap and easy to find. just buy them then buy my old 350 I have in the shop and you will be far ahead of spending money on axles then gears and still dealing with the anemic 305.
:puke:

This would be the best deal Joe.