• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

gears or axles?

Dain Bramage

when i graduated last year, my folks said they would get me something for my truck as a graduation present. i didnt have my truck at that time. so now that i have my truck, its all built up to where i want it for now, i have a decision to make. i told my folks that i had narrowed it down to 2 things i want for my truck: longfield axles, or 4.7 gears. my axles are stock toyota, and the birfs recently started to click. my gears are also stock 2.28s. which do you think is more important? i dont do any rock crawling, i mostly do fairly mild trails (isabel, sac-up, powerline), nothing that requires a lot of wheelspin, and i rarely engage my front locker. i have been told on several occasions (most notably after going over three-step) that lower gears would be a big help in most areas, and i agree, since there have been several times when i smoked my clutch trying to go slow over an obstacle.

what do you guys think?

id go with t-case gears honestly, Like bunk stated way back when i brought this up. You shafts will hold up if you know when to let off or disenguage. plus you have 33s.

I disagree with paulie as axles holding up are much more important than gears for now. toyota stock birfs arent that strong and will break. you can suffer with high gears for a while and not be broke in the woods.

my $.02

:cool:

I say gears too. When you dump those toy thingies and get real axles, you won't care about birfs anymore, but you will care about gearing.

I'd dual case it. ;)

and get some birfs smurfed, or find some oldschool ringed longs. With 33" tires those will be happy for along time

here's what you should do... get the longs. why? because you'll want them one day either way, and they co$t more than 4.7's. then, you wont break! then pay the 450 it will cost you for a topshift and adapter with your own money later.

lower gears are key, but they arent gonna help you down the trail with a shattered bell!

axles. If their already making noise adding more tourqe (sp) by gear reduction will only cause more stress thus breaking them even sooner.

Do you have a winch? Lockers?

Bobby's full set. Do it once and be done with it.

Even IF you eventually go for a different front axle, those birfs & inners will always be worth (pretty close to) what you paid for them.

I think if you're going to do the tcase gears, you might as well put them in a new case and bolt it to the back of your current one. If you're not ready to do that yet, wheel it while you get the parts together.

My $0.02,
Eric

Latest posts