• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Glow plug controller wiring 03 duramax

KarlVP

Love that TOYOTA
So I did the head gaskets on my 03 duramax (non cali emissions) and I'm having trouble with the glow plug controller wiring.

I have the FSM and it isn't really helping me any. The pictures are vague and the instructions say "attach wires to glow plug controller".

I know where the "weather seal" 4 wire connector goes, and that leaves me with 4 wires and 3 posts on the glow plug controller and I don't know where to put them.

I have one wire that runs from the glow plug controller to the driver side glow plug bus bar on the rear and then there is a wire the runs from the passenger side bus bar to the front of the bus bar on the drivers side.

I have one wire that runs from the glow plug controller to the intake heater. Both of these have the rubber boots on them at the glow plug controller.

I then have 2 identical pink wires at the glow plug controller that have blue wire shield on them. I haven't traced them out.

My question is where to these wires go on the glow plug controller? 4 Wires, three posts on the controller and I'm stumped.

I just looked at mine and there are 3 posts 1 on the front that has the red cable to it then on the right side the front post has the pink wire from the DS then on top of that is one of the large black wires. The back post has the pink wire that goes around behind the engine then the other black wire on top. It looks like the black wires just splice together and attach to the block for ground so it doesn't matter which goes where.

Just sell it N buy a Cummins:awesomework: No glow plugs:awesomework:

:stirpot:

I just looked at mine and there are 3 posts 1 on the front that has the red cable to it then on the right side the front post has the pink wire from the DS then on top of that is one of the large black wires. The back post has the pink wire that goes around behind the engine then the other black wire on top. It looks like the black wires just splice together and attach to the block for ground so it doesn't matter which goes where.

Yup.

Crashypoo helped me finger it out.

Thanks Crash. I owe you a 6er of Henry's. :awesomework:

We may have other problems though. For some reason the cooling system keeps pressurizing with air. :booo:

We did not have the heads decked. Tom looked at them and I trust his opinion/judgement that they were not warped.

We only pulled one injector in order to get the drivers side head off. We left the rest of the injectors in.

We did not have the heads decked. Tom looked at them and I trust his opinion/judgement that they were not warped.

We only pulled one injector in order to get the drivers side head off. We left the rest of the injectors in.

Warping would not be my concern its the grooves from the gasket/sealing ring buzzing against the head surface. I would also be concerned with the injector sleeves.

Warping would not be my concern its the grooves from the gasket/sealing ring buzzing against the head surface. I would also be concerned with the injector sleeves.

We took great care surfacing the heads and the block before putting the new gasket on.

As for the sleeves, should we have replaced them all or just the one for the injector that we removed?

We took great care surfacing the heads and the block before putting the new gasket on.

As for the sleeves, should we have replaced them all or just the one for the injector that we removed?

All of them because there is no tell tale sign of a leak except in the middle of the piston.

Like I say I would be concerned with the small divot's/valley that are formed on the head surface. If you can feel them with your finger nail then there is a problem.

All of them because there is no tell tale sign of a leak except in the middle of the piston.

Like I say I would be concerned with the small divot's/valley that are formed on the head surface. If you can feel them with your finger nail then there is a problem.

FAWK ME. Looks like we will be doing injector sleeves.

The head was spotless. No marks indents or anything like that on the block or the head.

The truck just keeps pressurizing the cooling system and spouting steam like a martha focker when you accelerate.

ouch!
mine did that, but it was the cyl head lifting from to much cyl presure... ARP's fixed that

I just did ARP's after a blown head gasket.

Did you replace all your injector sleeves? I think I'm just going to try and replace the one from the injector that we disturbed. Hopefully this won't cause me too much ass pain.

All figured out now.

Replaced the injector sleeves on number 2 and number 8 cylinders.

Fingers crossed, but it is running normally now.

I just did ARP's after a blown head gasket.

Did you replace all your injector sleeves? I think I'm just going to try and replace the one from the injector that we disturbed. Hopefully this won't cause me too much ass pain.

nope. cummins doesnt use them... :fawkdancesmiley: