• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

GM 8.1 liter V8

BLACKTJ97 said:
A 6.0 is what I was looking for. But I had found a good deal on a 8.1. Last night I bought my truck though. The wife talked me into a 6.6 dsl. It drove nice in the snow last night. Kind of odd just pushing a button for fwd. Thanks for all the comments. Crash I have a freind at a dealer that said they had two trucks with 5.3s that had head problems. But thats not very many compared to all the trucks out there I suppose. Thanks again for all the imput.

Thats funny because I think I just came across one with head gaskets. But its not what we consider a normal problem--now an intake on a vortec--now there is a normal problem,lol..

It's that red wine looking color. He races Pro 1 with the Randy's Offroad guys between Canada and Ca. I'll try to find a pic but don't know if i have one.

Yeah the motor was just rebuilt it Texas I think, maybe somewhere else. He melted the turbo and cracked the head. He ran low 12's w/a cracked head. He sould be in the 11's this season.

I want a D-max so bad I can taste it, but the fact is they run about 10k more than the same truck with the 8.1. You can burn a hell of a lot of gas for 10k. Not to mention diesel is priced higher than gas. you would have to drive about 30,000 miles to catch up in the price difference not taking into consideration the extra money spent on diesel(that means you can drive around the country 8 times before the -d-max gets to pull out and start his trip). I am still on the fence I know what I want just not sure it's a good economical choice.

BTW the 8.1 is a power house of an engine. My friend Mikes father is running that engine in his 35ft Bounder motor home and loves it.

10k more?? how? The option isn't even that much when you buy them brand new..... ok so the website shows that new. They are a 7k option, but I still haven't even seen that much of a difference between the two for used trucks.

Last edited:
skinny_pedal said:
thats because it was a dodge!:flipoff:
Damn! If only my Dodge were running, I'd challenge you! Guess that kinda looks bad on my part huh... Hey Fullywrecked you wanna challenge him? Oh no wait, yours is dead too :haha: :haha:

Lucky Jeff said:
Damn! If only my Dodge were running, I'd challenge you! Guess that kinda looks bad on my part huh... Hey Fullywrecked you wanna challenge him? Oh no wait, yours is dead too :haha: :haha:

:haha: :haha:

skinny_pedal said:
thats because it was a dodge!:flipoff:

Yea but dodges and Fords both tow a helluva lot better than new chebbies. I had to deliver our bobcat to a jobsite and was scared ****in shitless going doin I-5 in for seattle to shorline. The way the IFS just ate **** over the bumps with a heavy trailer sucked balls.

snwbrdpunk16 said:
Yea but dodges and Fords both tow a helluva lot better than new chebbies. I had to deliver our bobcat to a jobsite and was scared ****in shitless going doin I-5 in for seattle to shorline. The way the IFS just ate **** over the bumps with a heavy trailer sucked balls.

to each his own. but to flat out say they suck towing is pure bs and you know it:rolleyes: i guess if i want to tow something i better put a solid axle up front:looser:

Lucky Jeff said:

i dont think i would waste your time or mine. we both know your truck running will shun my minut tuned truck. now if you could hook me up with your bro with efi live.....id say lets do it:clappy:

skinny_pedal said:
to each his own. but to flat out say they suck towing is pure bs and you know it:rolleyes: i guess if i want to tow something i better put a solid axle up front:looser:

I'll flat out say my work truck sucks at towing. The handling just isnt good at all. THis is my personal expierence not word from the horses mouth.

What I'm saying is my truck handles 20 times better towing than my work truck. BUT... my work truck sure rides nice when not towing, hands down better than my ford.

Dont get ur panties in a bunch sweetpea :kiss: