• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gonna give it a try!

Looks like a nice set up.

I'd suggest going w/ a lipo battery if you can afford it (charge and pack). I haven't been able to but will as soon as I can. from what I hear better run times and a little more punch. If you're going with NIMH get the elite 1500 smaller and work well.
Check with maxxaps (http://www.maxamps.com/) or cheapbatterypacks (http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/tstuff/v7/buildcustompack.asp?sid=983898#)

Also keep searching Ebay for radios while your using the TQ3. I was able to find a great deal on a JR R-1 (3 channel) w/ 3 receivers and 6 sets of crystals. I've also found other good deals, just eneded up with the R-1 cause of the price and extra receivers.

Looks like a nice set up.

I'd suggest going w/ a lipo battery if you can afford it (charge and pack). I haven't been able to but will as soon as I can. from what I hear better run times and a little more punch. If you're going with NIMH get the elite 1500 smaller and work well.
Check with maxxaps (http://www.maxamps.com/) or cheapbatterypacks (http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/tstuff/v7/buildcustompack.asp?sid=983898#)

Also keep searching Ebay for radios while your using the TQ3. I was able to find a great deal on a JR R-1 (3 channel) w/ 3 receivers and 6 sets of crystals. I've also found other good deals, just eneded up with the R-1 cause of the price and extra receivers.
I was originally looking at the Lipos and after watching some of the vids of them blowing up I was a little skeered :haha:

I am not the most attentive guy when it comes to things like that so I thought I would stick with the little bit safer Nimh but will probably get a charger that does both so I can switch in the future.

So should I go with the 8 cell over the 6 cell with the 1500's? It sounded like people like the extra voltage with that motor/esc setup

Last edited:
defenatly go with the 8 cell. I have 7 cells only because my ESC will not handle an 8th..

Saw this today on RCC. forsale section.

Spektrum DX3, not 3.0. (it HAS the 3 position 3rd channel)
2 RX'x, both almost brand new, one of them has only been used a couple times, one of them has only been used for a couple months (they were $180 for the both of them).
The radio is in excellent shape along with the rx's.

Looking to get $180 + $5 shipping. OBO, I need to sell ASAP!!

Not a bad deal.

As far as run times go, I'm getting at least 45 minutes out of my 6 cell 1500mah 2/3A's. Before I went to them I was using a typical 3000mah sub C stick pack and my run times were pretty much until I got tired of playing with it. I have two 2/3A packs, so that is at least 1 1/2 hours of continuous run time right there. I figure that compared to the cost of going to Lipo's, that's more then enough run time for my setup right now and I run a 75T, it's not like I'm really looking for massive wheelspeed :squirrel:

Alright...electronics are ordered except for rx/tx and battery charger.

Went with the 5955 servo, mamba max, crawlmaster sport, castle BEC and 8cell 1500 twin packs.

Chassis is together...took about 8 hours to do though. I'll put up some pics in a bit. Everything looks pretty good on it but there are definitely a ton of mods to do. I am going to 4-link with longer uppers and going try some kind of partial droop shock setup...not sure what yet. Probably a soft outer spring combined with an internal spring under the piston. I still can't figure why they send the stiffest springs with the kit...they are rediculously stiff:rolleyes:

Here's the pics everybody has seen a million times already

Attachments

• RC1.jpg
    RC1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 142
  • RC2.jpg
    RC2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 144
  • RC3.jpg
    RC3.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 141
Well everything should be on the way to get this thing going...I was going to space it out over a couple of months to buy all the stuff but I am not a patient type of person :D Unfortunately Holmes Hobbies is running behind so it might be a few days before my stuff gets shipped and other than that the only thing that might hold me up is some misc spacers/bolts to get the suspension set up the way I want.

make spacers or get nylon ones from lowes, tacoma screws or where ever.
bolts are cheap anywhere.

Alright...building time on this has been few and far between but it's in a little more respectable state now. Electronics are installed and seem to be working fine. I need to see what update is on my Mamba Max because it is a little glitchy sometimes but that could just be me trying to get use to a brushless motor. The shocks got some medium springs in the rear and super soft springs up front with internal springs all around to lower the ride height. I kept the upper y-links for now and just extended the links stage 2 style and inboarded the lower links. It has quite a bit of rear steer when flexing and seems to be some torque twist when really bound up but not sure if it will affect it yet. I also need to flip both my plates that the electronics are installed on upside down to get things a little lower. Throw some better tires in the mix along with some weight on the front wheels and a body and she should be ready to go. Not real wild about the Betty body though

Here's the gratuitous household shots as it hasn't seen any rocks yet

Attachments

• P2130015.jpg
    P2130015.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 94
  • P2130014.jpg
    P2130014.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 104
  • P2130013.jpg
    P2130013.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Oh...one other thing about bodies. So according to the new rules the body must retain original width. I have seen some bodies that look like they have been boatsided so is this against the new rules?

Alright...well I've been tweaking like crazy trying to get this thing to crawl better and don't know what I did wrong but it's worse than before at least indoors. I lengthened the upper links and inboarded the lowers. I added 6oz of weight to each front wheel and 1.5oz to the rear wheels. Also threw on a set of Losi Claws and modded the foams a little. What happens is if I pull straight up to a vertical surface (like a wall) it won't pull itself up but if I back up to it the rearend shoots right up it. Almost like it's too much weight on the front to get up it. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Crawler Foam.jpg
    Crawler Foam.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Cralwer 2.jpg
    Cralwer 2.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Cralwer 1.jpg
    Cralwer 1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 72
you have too much weight up front. Go with 3oz's on each tire up front and 2oz's of weight on each tire in the rear.

you have too much weight up front. Go with 3oz's on each tire up front and 2oz's of weight on each tire in the rear.
I knew somebody was going to say that...time to take the beadlocks apart again...hahaha

I was reading that people were putting up to 7oz of weight up front with good results but that just seems like too much to me. Especially after I did it :haha:

Another update.....1st CARNAGE!!! (well second but the first was a measily rod end). Finally got it out on some rocks to test things out. Found a wicked place that runs along the river down here. Dropped the front end in a hole and was walking the front wheels back and forth trying to get traction and bam...exploded C knuckle. Overall it seems to work pretty good. The belly drags alot at 2 3/8" ride height but I like the stability of sidehilling it has. I am going to convert to a traditional 4 link with the next round of mods to help with the flex steer and maybe tone down the torque twist a bit. Still doesn't climb the way I would like but maybe I was expecting too much. Radio got two new pushbuttons installed for a hot new addition that should have this thing pretty much comp ready. I may try to hit the next ORCRC one out by me if the parts get here in time. Damn this thing is addicting :D

Attachments

• P3050001.jpg
    P3050001.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 55
  • P3050002.jpg
    P3050002.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 52

Latest posts