• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Good deals on tow rigs

The new ones for 09 are tow rated for 9100 Lbs. RubyDoo is just over 5000 then 2000 for a trailer which leaves 2000 lbs left. 1500 crew with RamBox, bedlength 5'7", Bed width 51", Bed depth 20". Pretty close to the same as my Dakota truck.

And my 1/4 ton ZJ is rated to tow 6500lbs.

Does that mean it's safe?

Not so much.

Our 2006 F150 Supercrew FX4 with the 5.4L and 9.75" rear diff did just fine pulling the Jeep and trailer to Moab last year (about 6800 lbs). There are quite a few mountain passes between here and Moab, the tallest being around 10K ft.

Topped all of the passes at 55 mph to 60 mph, no problem. Could have been going faster on most of them, but didn't want to guzzle the gas too much. Going up one pass, at about 7K ft, someone pulled out in front of me, and I had to slow down to 25 mph. I was able to get back up to 55 again in spite of the altitude and steep grade. It did take a while to get back up there though.

We averaged 9 mpg on the trip down, running 70-75 most of the way. Coming home we slowed the pace down to around 65, and the mileage went up to 11 mpg. I get 18 on the highway when not towing, and 14.5 around town.

A properly equipped half ton pickup will do just fine pulling a Jeep, especially if it is just an occasional thing. If you plan to tow every weekend, I might look into a diesel 3/4 ton.

Our 2006 F150 Supercrew FX4 with the 5.4L and 9.75" rear diff did just fine pulling the Jeep and trailer to Moab last year (about 6800 lbs). There are quite a few mountain passes between here and Moab, the tallest being around 10K ft.

Topped all of the passes at 55 mph to 60 mph, no problem. Could have been going faster on most of them, but didn't want to guzzle the gas too much. Going up one pass, at about 7K ft, someone pulled out in front of me, and I had to slow down to 25 mph. I was able to get back up to 55 again in spite of the altitude and steep grade. It did take a while to get back up there though.

We averaged 9 mpg on the trip down, running 70-75 most of the way. Coming home we slowed the pace down to around 65, and the mileage went up to 11 mpg. I get 18 on the highway when not towing, and 14.5 around town.

A properly equipped half ton pickup will do just fine pulling a Jeep, especially if it is just an occasional thing. If you plan to tow every weekend, I might look into a diesel 3/4 ton.

We towed like 16k to moab last year with a 12 valve with 220k on the odo and got 9 MPG going 85mph. So much for gasser half tons. :haha:

I pull mine 16ft trailer with a less than a 3000lb rig and it goes, until I hit a hill....then it slows, but I always get there. If you go that route, you may see more Black smoke than you like.....seems to be the norm for the EDPs to share when they pass you.

Just cause you have done something, like tow 10k with a 1/2 ton truck doesn't mean that it is good for the truck or even safe.

Go hit the diesel boards, you'll find lots of guys that load 25,000+lbs on a trailer behind their 1 tons...doesn't mean that it is either smart or safe.

Towing is just like wheeling.

You want everything to be overbuilt so that it can survive the intended use and come back tomorrow for more.

Using a 1/2 ton truck to tow another vehicle with (except for some jet skis or snowmobiles) is ridiculous. Why do you think the industry has 3/4 and 1 Ton trucks? For hauling & towing :awesomework:

Why do you think the industry has 3/4 and 1 Ton trucks? For hauling & towing :awesomework:

hah! you are soooo wrong. It's to show off more bling, duh. I followed a dirtymax near my house the other day. Stole the DONK rules and had a blingin 22" emblem on the tailgate. If most of these guys who drive 3/4 and 1 ton trucks today could figure out how to slide in a reciever... I'd be impressed.

i wish i could afford a "new" tow rig. my old f250, is rated LESS than current 1/2 tons:eeek:.

with the 390, and my (empty, heavy)trailer i got 11mpg to aberdeen, and 9mpg loaded coming back. it needs an overdrive....

i went ahead and picked up a 91 F350 crew cab long bed w/ the 7.3L .... havent had a chance to tow any distance with that one, but drove an identicle 92 for several years ... they may not get you to your destination really fast, but they'll get around 15 loaded .... (wont pull hills very quick either though)

We towed like 16k to moab last year with a 12 valve with 220k on the odo and got 9 MPG going 85mph. So much for gasser half tons. :haha:

Our F150 is my wife's daily driver the other 51 weeks out of the year. For that, I would MUCH rather have a half ton truck that runs $2.00 per gallon gasoline (and gets 15-18 mpg while doing daily driver duty).

I've got no complaints with getting 11 mpg while pulling the Jeep.

And pulling a 6800 lb trailer is well within the tow ratings of the truck (rated 8900 lbs).

If I was pulling 16k lbs, I'd be looking for an F350 diesel though...

OK, so the word here is to get a 3/4 ton oil burner truck to tow.

Guess i could go with one if its 2wd.

Why waste your time with a 2wd?? If you ever tow up to Evan's you'll want 4wd,, that road is nutts.:haha:

I picked up my 99 Dodge 2500 CTD for $14k with 83k miles on it. Loaded, leather, CD, all the good stuff. They were asking blue book $17,999. I didn't have to argue too much to get them at $14k.