• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gooseneck hitch extension for short bed truck..

truckbroke

Anybody using a hitch extension? My old man has a wedge gooseneck trailer and I went over there this evening to see if it would clear my back glass when turned around 90* and nope it won't. I seen some 16" extensions online that claim that they'll give you the room you need for the short bed. Anybody use one of these and do they really give you enough clearance to clear your back glass?? I really believe I could 45 the corners of the trailer but my dad ain't wanting to hear that ****. Lol..

u can get a 4" set back ball that will help some the longer hitches for trailer help some but when u turn sharp it is still same distance pull rite makes a 5th wheel that will move back as u turn I bought a 2012 mega cab that had it in it u may want to check it out Pullrite Superglide hope this helps

An extension won't help with jackknifing. it will just help you get closer to 90, it's the width of the trailer at the ball that matters, unless the extension is enough of a difference to move the widest part of the trailer past the cab corner.

I backed under it yesterday at about a 90* angle and I lacked about 7" from being able to back on up to where the ball would be mounted. I seen the 4" offset balls and I do believe that would help but I think I`d still be a few inches to close. I thought about possibly getting the 4" ball offset and a 9" extension. I believe it would clear then. After reading last night they said Not to use the 16" extension with a wedge car hauler. Was hoping maybe someone was already using one or something with a wedge trailer and a short bed. Wish my old man would just let me 45 the damn corners and be done with it.

mr.mindless said:
An extension won't help with jackknifing. it will just help you get closer to 90, it's the width of the trailer at the ball that matters, unless the extension is enough of a difference to move the widest part of the trailer past the cab corner.

Yeah 90* is really all I`m looking for.

It can`t be as right as free.. I hate to buy one when I got access to one for free. Just need to figure out how to make it work on my short bed without buying back glasses.

truckbroke said:
It can`t be as right as free.. I hate to buy one when I got access to one for free. Just need to figure out how to make it work on my short bed without buying back glasses.
Handy with fabrication? Is it a turnover ball? Make another mount farther back so you can have an actual gooseneck mount point 8" back where you need it.
The other way is see if you can drop a kingpin in the goose part (they make them) and get the slider 5th for the bed. Can be had on CL. That way when going straight you get the proper weight distribution, and when turning you get clearance

pholmann said:
We re running one of these with a 4" set back turned around backward to decrease the total amount of set back. Only after a cab corner repair to my buddys 15 duramax when it was about 3 months old.

http://www.adventurerv.net/gooseneck-extended-coupler-square-extended-sb316-p-14505.html?gclid=CIrW-4KRvM4CFYw9gQoduNgNrQ&utm_campaign=partsfeed_ppc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Froogle

Damn that sucks and is what I`m trying to prevent. Are ya`ll running a wedge and if so does it give him plenty of room now? That is one I was looking at. They said not to run the 16" with a wedge but a 9" was ok. I think that's just because of tongue weight really. I see what your saying about the 4" ball turned around. That puts you at 12" extension instead of 16" which probably is about right.

I run a 16" pop up hitch extension on mine. You can't go 90 deg with it but it does help. The other plus is i can easily put the tail gate down and walk between the truck and trailer or end pull it with the gate down.

twqoMxjLfzHIQlOWj4cGXkzVb7RMrfK2_jUGq3CZA3Cdze4MSF9IDTa7NWn0feLk89pyxtJHALFYI_M=w1600-h1200-rw-no

KSNGF0gfiKcAGaU2uckkp6hMpyiFryFsYr1MuPgzfXCV3hnUC1gqzlZxhYprIFgH1n2QDAwkLmc_sVg=w1600-h1200-rw-no

jta said:
I run a 16" pop up hitch extension on mine. You can't go 90 deg with it but it does help. The other plus is i can easily put the tail gate down and walk between the truck and trailer or end pull it with the gate down.

twqoMxjLfzHIQlOWj4cGXkzVb7RMrfK2_jUGq3CZA3Cdze4MSF9IDTa7NWn0feLk89pyxtJHALFYI_M=w1600-h1200-rw-no

Sweet truck man, the Power Wagon wheels look really good on a 2nd gen!

KSNGF0gfiKcAGaU2uckkp6hMpyiFryFsYr1MuPgzfXCV3hnUC1gqzlZxhYprIFgH1n2QDAwkLmc_sVg=w1600-h1200-rw-no

MoparMan said:
Sweet truck man, the Power Wagon wheels look really good on a 2nd gen!

Thanks! I like the wheels too. That's the good side, I whacked a deer with the other side and need to get it fixed and painted.

jta said:
Thanks! I like the wheels too. That's the good side, I whacked a deer with the other side and need to get it fixed and painted.

Thanks for the info and for posting the pictures. It definitely sets it on back pretty nice. I called ole boy at pop-up yesterday and he recommended the 4" ball offset (to actually move the pivot point itself back) and a 9" extension. I may just do a 16 and say Hell with it. How often do you really have to turn 90* on a gooseneck anyways? I would imagine it's only if you get in a bind. Don't really seem like a loaded trailer would like to be twisted around to 90* just because of stress on the frame and hitch to me.

truckbroke said:
Thanks for the info and for posting the pictures. It definitely sets it on back pretty nice. I called ole boy at pop-up yesterday and he recommended the 4" ball offset (to actually move the pivot point itself back) and a 9" extension. I may just do a 16 and say Hell with it. How often do you really have to turn 90* on a gooseneck anyways? I would imagine it's only if you get in a bind. Don't really seem like a loaded trailer would like to be twisted around to 90* just because of stress on the frame and hitch to me.
You'll wish you could get 90 deg more than you think. You just have to be mindful of your limitations. Find a big flat parking lot and see how far you can go. Get it as close to the cab as you can then get out and look it so you know what your working with. I ordered mine on Ebay and saved a bunch of $$. I got the hitch for my truck and the extension for less than $600. Here's a link to the seller, I don't see the extensions listed but I bet you could contact them about getting one.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/trends-auto?rt=nc

more pics
https://goo.gl/photos/zu4qR9bnsjzdAtxb8

truckbroke said:
Thanks a bunch!!
The pop up stuff is really nice. I got their turn over hitch. It was easy to install with good directions, plus the price was right. That extension is well made too.

Yeah I`ve been looking at there hitches. Bout to pull the trigger on a flip over ball myself. Going to call one or two more places today. I found one on ebay for 329 with free shipping.

If you trying to pull a wedge with a short bed here's your answer without cutting the trailer. Came in yesterday. Very well built from Pop-up hitch company. 16" extension. I got the heavy duty with thicker wall tube.

Attachments

• IMG_20160927_191526805.jpg
    IMG_20160927_191526805.jpg
    617.9 KB · Views: 125
I can see were it helps in a straight line but were is it helping when the truck is 90 degrees with the trailer? When your turn wont the still be the same distance from the cab? Looks to mee you would have to move the ball tward the back of the bed to help. Maybe im just looking at it wrong but i dont see were that helps. My buddy has a gooseneck box trailer thats 8' wide all the way to the front. When tou turn there is still 4' from the center of that trailer the the edge of the trailer. Moving the hitch straight back on the trailer helps it with room in the front but not side to side. His will still break the window on a truck with a 6' bed. But maybe im just looking at the problem wrong.