• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gotta be shittin me

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
So--for a while now I have had a voltage issue in the rig. I haven't had a chance to fully dive into it--but the way it was acting I was sure there was a connection issue. Winch or starting would just pull the system voltage low. But after almost getting into one of those situations last night--it was time to dig into it.

Well WTF--both my optima's are toast. They are only a tad over a fawkin year old...

So anybody know if the blue tops are the same dimensions as the red tops since the whole holding assembly was built around the batteries...

from trail welding?

Hell no---its only been used a few times for that. ANd when its parked--both batterys are disconnected....

This is totaly frustratiing as I can't even find my damn reciepts for the batteries and bought them when I was in bellevue working last year...

I feel for you Crash. I just warrantied my 2nd redtop this year. They don't take to sitting well.

That is why i use a group 31 sealed truck battery no leak will take to being flat for a bit 78.00... 950 CCA...I got almost 4 years out of my last set:awesomework:

Yep i let my optima sit for 3 days in 20-30* weather and it was dead as ****. They dont like to sit long.

RE your question, the time mine was dead i grabbed my dads blue top for our boat and swapped in. It fit just fine, it is slightly smaller around the base if i remember right and the actual blue top was about the same size. Should fit fine as its not abnormally out of shape of a red top.

I'm quite sure they fit the same: you can get a blue top with a gray or black case. Black case= high amp. Gray case= deep cycle. (I own a Blue top gray case.)

Heres the deal in my humble opinion.

The Optimas are good batterys but they are sensitive to damage and rough handling. If your tray is banging into the side of the battery case or putting concentrated pressure on the top or bottom you are gonna kill a cell or cause a short. You begin to piece togeather the clues as you read articles over and over again where either a guy has nothing but good luck and respect for the battery or is "on his third or fourth of the POS's". It doen't seem to be random quality issues, its vehicle specific.

I have a hand built rubber cushioned tray and fitted top strap. Have never had a problem.

I had a pair of REFURB Optima Redtops that I bought at Action Auto parts before for $49 each. They worked pretty well on the rig for everything including winching with the engine running. I found out the hard way that they need to be trickle charged. Mine died after sitting for my six month deployment. Tried to charge them with the regular and fast settings on the charger and they were toast. Still got 3 years out of REFURBS!

Optima quality these days sucks the big one. I have seen too many lately go bad in under a year, so that said i have switched to the Exide orbitols. The only one that has lasted were the refurbished red Optimas, dont know why.I am done with Optima batteries.

I might have to try the trickle charging....

BTW, I am into my 7th year on my yellow optima that includes wheeling, obviously, countless jump-starts, about 100k in everyday driving, and lately, alot of sitting. Most impressively, I also was the stupid fawk that didn't tie his batteries down correctly, and I had two shorts... I'm talking it caught the rig on fire, drained the battery DEAD, and blew all of my ground straps/leads, etc. Still cranking over. :;

I have heard, though, that the newer Optimas are downhill. That is second hand, though.

So--for a while now I have had a voltage issue in the rig. I haven't had a chance to fully dive into it--but the way it was acting I was sure there was a connection issue. Winch or starting would just pull the system voltage low. But after almost getting into one of those situations last night--it was time to dig into it.

Well WTF--both my optima's are toast. They are only a tad over a fawkin year old...

So anybody know if the blue tops are the same dimensions as the red tops since the whole holding assembly was built around the batteries...

I remember about a year back you asking what the hotness for batteries was, I told you not red top's, you said your old one's were like 6 or 7 year's old, I said they just arent the same anymore, you bought new ones anyway's, for the sake of not modifying ....... :fawkdancesmiley: should have listened

Crash what is the voltage in the battery? I have been playing this game for a while. If the voltage gets to low say 4-6 volts there is to much resistance in the
battery for the charger to charge. Try to hit it with a 50-60 amp charger for about a 30 to 45 minutes to try to force feed it this has worked for me. then finish it on a trickle charger

I have heard from my battery dist. that optima had a bad batch of batteries a year or so ago and have since fixed the prob???

but who knows, my reds been in there 2.5yrs with no prob?? luck perhaps

Just a thought ...

If the batteries have a serial number embedded into them Optima may have a manufacture date associated with the SN and you may be able to get some credit on them.

with or without a reciept..theyd be covered.

i picked up a pair of "blems" one was used for 6 months, then exchanged for a deep cycle. the other was unsold, on the shelf too long(9 months)
got em both for $100.

altho, i found out my last bat died due to a low voltage drain in my truck..still dont know where.
so i started disconnecting the cables....damn thing still dies.

guess they arent as good, or there was a bad run. my last one was good for 7+ years

Crash what is the voltage in the battery? I have been playing this game for a while. If the voltage gets to low say 4-6 volts there is to much resistance in the
battery for the charger to charge. Try to hit it with a 50-60 amp charger for about a 30 to 45 minutes to try to force feed it this has worked for me. then finish it on a trickle charger

Thanks eric--I am going to yank the batteries and drag them to work and try that--I had heard the same thing before... And they will drop to like 8 volts on a pull of the winch easily...

I have heard from my battery dist. that optima had a bad batch of batteries a year or so ago and have since fixed the prob???

but who knows, my reds been in there 2.5yrs with no prob?? luck perhaps

with or without a reciept..theyd be covered.

i picked up a pair of "blems" one was used for 6 months, then exchanged for a deep cycle. the other was unsold, on the shelf too long(9 months)
got em both for $100.

altho, i found out my last bat died due to a low voltage drain in my truck..still dont know where.
so i started disconnecting the cables....damn thing still dies.

guess they arent as good, or there was a bad run. my last one was good for 7+ years

When I first started running them--I could easily get 5-7 years out of them...