• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

gotta start somewhere

J_SIN

after about 2.5 months of searching for a jeep, then a 4runner, then a truck, I finaly found something I wanted that was in my price range. I drove down to Vancouver this morning and picked up an 85 Xcab truck for 2500 bucks. Nothin special on it, the paint is pretty faded but its in fairly good shape overall and a solid truck to start with. Has an overheating issue but I think with a new fan clutch and water pump that should be taken care of. Time to start collecting parts so I can have it ready for the christmas tree snow run my nieghbor and all his friends/family go on each december. For now I'm thinking a 4 inch lift with 36's will suffice.

85toyota.jpg

the canopy will be coming off and only used when we go over to cle elum for the holidays cause I have to haul my dog and xmas present.

this is what I really wanted to build but I'll settle for the truck version.

perfect4runner1.jpg

Last edited:
The snow is coming soon, start with a good winch (8274 Warn), 5.29 gears(Yukons), Detroits and Longfield 30spline front axles.:hi:

Last edited:
hmmm wierd. I did the tags myself but something was different I guess. fixed now.

I'll probably end up getting a winch before I take it out but I dunno if gears and lockers are within my budget right now. I'd like to pay it off first (owe about 1200 on it still) but I guess I'll just go with the flow and see what happens. If I find a good deal on any of it I wont pass it up.

Rears up front, ranger/S-10's etc whatever floats your boat in the back. High steer, 30 spliners, duals, 5.29's and lockers will make a damn fine wheeler. :D

As for a new fan clutch, hit the hobby/radio control car store for some silocone 5000 weight shock oil. Probably need a few bottles of it. Then pull your clutch off and take it apart. Survey says the fluid is gone or low so the fan turns very freely now....

I know a guy parting out a 3/4 ton chevy that will give me the leafs off of it. will those work in the rear or will they be too stiff? or just wrong all together?

I can give ya some idea's, may have parts off the old 85 soon, if ya need ideas lemme know I will let ya know what worked...

yeah definetly. I'm new at this and trying to learn whatever I can from anybody with good experience.

well after giving it a full tune up, changing the exhaust manifold gasket and changing the water pump I found the real problem. damn head gasket. I wasnt in the mood to start that today so my neighbor helped me pull the tranny to change the throw out bearing but after we got it out I decided I didnt want to have to do that again anytime soon so I'm gonna order a centerforce dual friction clutch tomorrow. I'll do the headgasket while I'm waiting for the clutch to show up.

After that crap is done I'll move on to the suspension. Time to figure out what springs I should run.

TooRisky, what springs do you have that your're pulling out soon?

yeah, gears and hopefully lockers will be the next step after the lift and tires. I have a company van for daily driving so the toyota wont be drivin much before I do the gears.

protect youreself and youre pass.

Some good suggestions for youre rig,they all sound good.But the first thing you should invest in is youre life put a cage in it first.

IMO cage first
then gears t-case or diffs
then tires
then locker in back
then 30 splines in frnt
then frnt locker etc etc etc.

Latest posts