• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Grizzly locker WTF?? Yukon NO HELP!!!

Re: Re: Grizzly locker WTF?? Yukon NO HELP!!!

redneckengineered said:
Agreed. Are the ones in that picture Yukon or RCV?
Rcv

That's how all their 30 spline (d44/Toyota) shafts are.

I'd say that a 300m straight shaft like that is plenty strong compared to other parts in the axle they are installed in.

In toyota axles they are plenty strong compared to the ring gear and birfield joint...

TBItoy said:
Rcv

That's how all their 30 spline (d44/Toyota) shafts are.

I'd say that a 300m straight shaft like that is plenty strong compared to other parts in the axle they are installed in.

In toyota axles they are plenty strong compared to the ring gear and birfield joint...

that is almost certainly true - and 300m is certainly an upgrade there too. I also think that in my toyota days, my Longfields were not stepped either and they were fine.

I just would have figured that a company like RCV that prides themselves in making the best possible product would make their other shafts like this, when they make their 60 shafts correctly. I am sure they have a reason though.

I'm mostly just thinking aloud here - I don't think toyota whoopow would be able to break anything like that - although I have seen some D44 axles under rigs they dont belong under laughing1 :stir:

slravenel said:
that is almost certainly true - and 300m is certainly an upgrade there too. I also think that in my toyota days, my Longfields were not stepped either and they were fine.

I just would have figured that a company like RCV that prides themselves in making the best possible product would make 60 shafts correctly and then the other shafts a different way. I am sure they have a reason though.

I'm mostly just thinking aloud here - I don't think toyota whoopow would be able to break anything like that - although I have seen some D44 axles under rigs they dont belong under laughing1 :stir:

Longfields were/are/is RCV

I reckon they worked fine for over a decade, so no reason to change.

I know I've busted a bunch of gears, and several Longfield birfs, but never twisted off a non tapered shaft.

But still...

I think if I were doing a custom rear axle I'd want properly designed shafts.

They'll probably be fine though. But it'll be because of material difference in the RCV vs Yukon shafts.

Fact is, the RCV shafts "could be" better.

TBItoy said:
Longfields were/are/is RCV

I reckon they worked fine for over a decade, so no reason to change.

I know I've busted a bunch of gears, and several Longfield birfs, but never twisted off a non tapered shaft.

But still...

I think if I were doing a custom rear axle I'd want properly designed shafts.

They'll probably be fine though. But it'll be because of material difference in the RCV vs Yukon shafts.

Fact is, the RCV shafts "could be" better.

I almost wonder if they outsource that shaft. Every other shaft I've seen from RCV has been profiled and black oxide coated and had more uniform splines. That being said I'm sure it'll be fine for the intended application. I was assuming it was a 60 or 14 bolt shaft when I looked at the picture.

On the thoughts of them making the shafts the proper way. During their testing, I assume they were not having any breakages due to it not being knecked down. Why do extra machine work to make a part stronger, when you aren't having any breakages in that area to begin with. That would just incur more cost to the consumer on something that wasn't an issue in the first place. I think a thank you is in order for not adding additional cost of something that isn't needed. This hobby/sport is expensive enough without adding costs that give no gain.

lowbudgetjunk said:
On the thoughts of them making the shafts the proper way. During their testing, I assume they were not having any breakages due to it not being knecked down. Why do extra machine work to make a part stronger, when you aren't having any breakages in that area to begin with. That would just incur more cost to the consumer on something that wasn't an issue in the first place. I think a thank you is in order for not adding additional cost of something that isn't needed. This hobby/sport is expensive enough without adding costs that give no gain.

Who all debating this runs a set or has broken set of RCV shafts? Just curiou how many people on have any of their shafts?

lowbudgetjunk said:

Wouldn't the reduction in shaft twist increase the shock load on the ring and pinion unnecessarily. :stir: ;D

lowbudgetjunk said:

Very seldom is a reduction in production cost of an elite item at the top of the food chain transfer to a savings to the consumer.... That I assume is usually pumped back into the company or goes to the bottom line

The-Boss said:
Wouldn't the reduction in shaft twist increase the shock load on the ring and pinion unnecessarily. :stir: ;D
Yes and I really believe that properly profiled front shafts would help alleviate the stresses on the small ring gear and birfield in a Toyota axle. Being that rcv offers a lifetime warranty on shafts, one would think they would do everything they could to help the birfs live longer.

I'd bet they order the bar stock already ground and polished to size and just cut and spline it.

kmcminn said:
Who all debating this runs a set or has broken set of RCV shafts? Just curiou how many people on have any of their shafts?

Had longfields in my FJ80 front when I bought the Toyota, broke passenger side inner, replaced with RCV inner, not too long after that, the driver's side inner longfield let go and instead of buying an RCV inner for that side, I upgraded to the whole RCV set that were 30 spline at the birfield instead of the 24 spline like the longfields and replacement RCV previously ran. Never had another axle issue with the full RCV's and it took some beatings.

29772f65e4b9132621379c3215a3c95b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First I would like to say that yes putting money in a d44 is stupid but you would just have to understand my setup and application but having that aside I do agree that axle engineering and design is a great idea for strength. Than agin look at my application. I wanted an axle shaft to to break like these yukons after two easy rides. Went through two sets in 5 rides. So I got me some custom 300m RCV shafts. Yes they may not be knock down but I would say no need considering they will never break before a r&p or who know what else is weaker! But RCV I hope has fixed me d44 from axle twist and breakage. On to the next weak link

RCV did make these axles in house but the coated one on the right was made Toyota spine by accident. And so the shinny one is the same 300m shaft but with no coating and correct splines

And I will say yes two simple RCV axles did cost a good bit more than the semi float yukons that I would say is more labor to make. But when I pay for something that fixes a problem, cost shouldn't be the concern... Got to have it