• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

GRVW question

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
So I just got tabs for my dodge 3/4 ton 4x4. So on the reg it shows 5200 actual weight and 6000 GVW (Gwt) which to me sounds low. The lady at the lic. place said I need to raise the GTW or I would likely get a ticket when towing. Anybody experienced this before?

According to what she was saying I could easily get ticketed if I tow due to being over..

You could legally get cited if you had a load of wood in the bed. Granted you'd have to piss off the popo for him to call in the scales but yes it is possible and I know someone that did in fact piss the popo off that much. :haha:

Just pay extra tonnage problem solved. No muss no fuss she should have offered to do it right then and there.

You could legally get cited if you had a load of wood in the bed. Granted you'd have to piss off the popo for him to call in the scales but yes it is possible and I know someone that did in fact piss the popo off that much. :haha:

Just pay extra tonnage problem solved. No muss no fuss she should have offered to do it right then and there.

So its just another way to get more $$ :looser:

I just find it odd the state fawked up and didn't have the correct GWT to start with as I believe the factory spec is higher on the door sticker.

Oh and I don't haul firewood :D

First, your truck weighs more than 5200 lbs...If you look closely at your sticker in the door, I bet this 6000 rating is for the rear axle only...or possibly 5200...

:D Pretty damn close I bet...Yer gonna get a ticket just drivin' the truck down the road!!! :haha:

Dang, my Dodge weighs in at just over 7000lbs with only fuel and the typical stuff I keep in the cab. I'd better go check what mine is licensed for. :eek:

yea it's just over 7k for our body style and configuration. 5200 is base model 2wd reg cab area. I know I had a tough time renting a tow dolly from uhaul due to my truck weighing only 5200 lbs :rolleyes:.

So its just another way to get more $$ :looser:

Derrrrrrr you should be used to is ya west sider. :flipoff:

Yea you can buy tonnage at any time. My old V8 truck was licensed for waaay over what I'd tow/haul with it so the bumpers were legal. :redneck:

:fawkdancesmiley:

Yea, I had no idea my Grand Cherokee was too heavy for my Dodge diesel to tow. Thank God I have uhaul there to protect me from my unknowing ways. Luckily it can tow a 96 civic, so they let me take it after all :haha:. That's what 10 bucks an hour gets you :awesomework:.

I never paid attention to the weights when buying tabs. I just paid what they told me to.

She did offer to change it, but since I bought them, I told her I'd ask Michael what the weights were for what he towed since I'd assumed he'd had all of it on a scale before.

I'd asked about towing weight, cause I assumed that in his case, if he was towing his trailer with a vehicle on it, the trailer would also carry some amount of weight limit. So maybe he didn't need to up the truck weight, if the trailer carried the other amount. She said that upping it to the min of 8000lb would probably be another $20 a year. But that he'd be wise to even go to the 10,000lb

honestly what started it was I was curious why it was more expensive to tab the 4 runner then the dodge cause I bought both sets of tabs that day, and the way the paper had it broke down he was paying less for tonnage then I was, but I was paying some other mysterious fee that he wasn't

My truck is licensed for 14K. When I am loaded, camper (11.5ft), trailer with 2 rigs and gear for a trip like KOH the truck alone weight is 14.5K to 15.5K of a total of around 25K-26K GCVWR. I pay about $110 for tabs with the extra weight and then because I am over 10K I have like a $10 commercial vehicle fee. I am thinking of upping the weight to 16K as I am a BIG target when I tow and the state patrol has been known to scale a heavy recreational use rig.

Oh the truck alone is 7.5K of that weight.

Whatever you do keep the gvw under 20k so the truck won't have to enter scales traveling around to the hammers etc.

CA is so fawked up if you have anything other than a factory truck bed you have to enter the scales due to being considered a commercial vehicle. :eeek:

Last edited:
CA is so fawked up if you have anything other than a factory truck bed you have to enter the scales due to being considered a commercial vehicle. :eeek:

Check! Still just a stock looking '05 dirty max.

I worry more about getting pulled over because of the black stain around the exhaust. Cali has been doing some lame stops on diesels that carry that stain. They hold you and will/can write you up for any/all smog violations.

Somehow I ended up having to register three of my vehicles this month, I can't believe the price, especially my Harley, it was around $80, which is crazy because it's only around 800lbs, and how much does an 800lb bike wear on the pavement :eeek:

Whatever you do keep the gvw under 20k so the truck won't have to enter scales traveling around to the hammers etc.

Be careful about your trailer too, I got a ticket for not having a CDL when I had my 15K trailer, my Dodge was 12.5K gvwr.

I'm not looking forward to dragging my junk through CA although if they pull me into a CA scale for inspection. I've seen them pull private owner toyhaulers drug by flatbed trucks into the inspection building before. :rolleyes:

Good point on the trailer adding to the GROSS weight, they definitely look at everything like that when you are loaded.

The lady told me that the weight of the camper doesn't add to the weight on the truck cause it has it's own licenseing. That's why I wondered if the weight of any vehicle on a car hauler would be added to the trailer.

she said "It sounds like your trailer is a car hauler", So I said that it was, and that since it was, wouldn't it carry it's own limits for weight seperate from the vehicle towing it. You'd think that any car hauler, would be licensed for carrying some kind of weight, hence it's name.

So wouldn't that mean that the truck would only be liable for it's weight and any weight in it, but not the weight it was hauling if it was either on that licensed trailer, or that licensed camper?

She said that includes the weight of all passengers in it and anything else in the bed of the truck.

That's the difference between gross weight and combined gross weight. The weight of the trailer adds to the overall weight of the combination. Don't listen to the wimmins at the dol, listen to the guys that have gotten weight tickets. :haha: