• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

GRVW question

Yea good choice to ask because most of the dol workers don't know their ass from their arm pit when it comes to such things.

The weight of the camper adds to the gross weight even though it has its own tags. The truck needs to be tagged for the gross weight of the camper and loaded trailer plus the weight of the truck and all gear. You can up the tonnage for big trips and not pay so damned much at all times. We buy tonnage permits good for 3 days at a time if we just need to haul something we haven't tagged for the year. Cheaper that way considering tags for a big truck are $6500 a year.

I have a 2500 dodge and the minimum that the local license agent says the state will allow me to by for tonnage is 12000lbs.

Yea good choice to ask because most of the dol workers don't know their ass from their arm pit when it comes to such things.

The weight of the camper adds to the gross weight even though it has its own tags. The truck needs to be tagged for the gross weight of the camper and loaded trailer plus the weight of the truck and all gear. You can up the tonnage for big trips and not pay so damned much at all times. We buy tonnage permits good for 3 days at a time if we just need to haul something we haven't tagged for the year. Cheaper that way considering tags for a big truck are $6500 a year.

trip permits were great back in the day , put in vin number and plate of tow vehicle and fill in date and year as the trooper walked up:awesomework:

Last edited:
The weight of the camper adds to the gross weight even though it has its own tags. The truck needs to be tagged for the gross weight of the camper and loaded trailer plus the weight of the truck and all gear.

Um:scratchhead: Vehicle tabs differ from OTR trucks. When I pay tonnage on truck it is for GVWR (actual weight on ground from truck alone not counting trailer) and not GCVWR (total weight of whole shebang). This is of course through all research I have done.

Now when the truck is used commercially it does have to be licensed for GCVWR.

If this is not so please cite RCW to inform some folks.:awesomework:

Um:scratchhead: Vehicle tabs differ from OTR trucks. When I pay tonnage on truck it is for GVWR (actual weight on ground from truck alone not counting trailer) and not GCVWR (total weight of whole shebang). This is of course through all research I have done.

Now when the truck is used commercially it does have to be licensed for GCVWR.

If this is not so please cite RCW to inform some folks.:awesomework:

It is entirely possible I've got the commercial side of things confused with the civilian side. If you've done the research cough it up so I don't get it wrong again. :D

They saw you coming. :awesomework:

When was the last time you bought tonnage?, can you get less tonnage on yours? Agent only gets 3 dollars or so per transaction, selling more tonnage doesnt change that. If you know something as fact lets hear it I will go back:awesomework:

Last edited:
this is what I found on to dol web sight. Manufacture says I weigh 7200lbs, This puts me over 10000, round up to next weight class its 12000lbs. Jay W if you can come up with something that is different and can save me some money please post up:cheer:

Every truck, motor truck, truck tractor, and tractor exceeding 6,000 pounds empty scale weight registered under chapter 46.16, 46.87, or 46.88 RCW shall be licensed for not less than one hundred fifty percent of its empty weight unless the amount would be in excess of the legal limits prescribed for such a vehicle in RCW 46.44.041 or 46.44.042, in which event the vehicle shall be licensed for the maximum weight authorized for such a vehicle or unless the vehicle is used only for the purpose of transporting any well drilling machine, air compressor, rock crusher, conveyor, hoist, donkey engine, cook house, tool house, bunk house, or similar machine or structure attached to or made a part of such vehicle.

Last edited:
Jay W if you can come up with something that is different and can save me some money please post up:cheer:

Trade it in for a kia. :flipoff:

If you didn't buy a truck to haul stuff then your kidding yourself. If you haul or tow anything you need the tonnage anyway.

My old truck must have scaled less than 6K because it was registered with tonnage at 8K when I bought it. I upped it to 12K so I could use it. I just looked at the new truck and it's weight on the reg is 6945 so that puts the tonnage at 12K, which I should up because I'm over that every time I tow.