• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Halfway decent seats on a budget

xjmarc

Wannabe Bouncer
One of my seats finally died this weekend and I'm looking at replacing them both since they aren't comfortable and are pretty much shot. They are cheap tuner seats so I'm looking for something a little better and would like some that recline and have to be able to use my harnesses. So what's out there for a poor boy on a tight budget? Corbeau and Mastercraft are out of the question but I know some of you have to have had some cheaper ones that weren't that bad. It's trail only so I don't spend a ton of time in it so I don't have to have suspension seats. Oh and they are buckets going in and XJ for reference.

What's your budget, and how tall are you? Are you thinking suspension seats or just some replacement buckets?

Corbeau JP seats. Or the JP wide.

I've owned all 3 versions of the corbeau Baja seats, and the XP seats.

For a full body/cab vehicle I'd go with the JPs.

I'd never own another trail rig without suspension seats. Current rig has PRP

bgredjeep said:
What's your budget, and how tall are you? Are you thinking suspension seats or just some replacement buckets?

I'm still working on the budget, just got the jeep back together, and I'm a giant 5'7" and 165lbs. I'd love suspension seats but unless I find a decent used set I don't see me coming up with that kind of cash in the near future mostly because I don't like the fixed back seat. I adjust my back angle quite a bit depending on terrain and time of day. I don't want factory mostly because I'd like something that keeps my ass in place and they don't work with my harnesses.

You'd fit in a regular corbeau baja at that size so the seats aren't very expensive. I've never felt the need to adjust my seats since I installed my suspension seats. Import junkyard seats might be the best bet. Otherwise you'll likely be shipping for another set of cheap tuners.

I definitely wouldn't recommend the corbeau reclining suspension seats. I've seen the mechanism fail completely a few times. Smittybilt might be an option, but any of those will be in the $250+ range each.

If you mount the fixed back seats properly, they are comfortable enough that you won't have to/want to adjust them.

luckily you are of a stature that will fit in a regular Corbeau Baja SS. They can be had for ~$150/ea.

Otherwise, I'd suggest hitting up a pull-a-part and getting some bucket seats from a late model car. If you get ones with adjustable head rests, you can run your harnesses over the seatback, inside the headrest posts and it will hold them in place. That is how I have the harnesses on my stockish Tacoma and it worked out really well.

xjmarc said:
I'm still working on the budget, just got the jeep back together, and I'm a giant 5'7" and 165lbs. I'd love suspension seats but unless I find a decent used set I don't see me coming up with that kind of cash in the near future mostly because I don't like the fixed back seat. I adjust my back angle quite a bit depending on terrain and time of day. I don't want factory mostly because I'd like something that keeps my ass in place and they don't work with my harnesses.
I got some from Summit , around 200 BUKS each. I'm going to get covers for the seats that were in it. Prp seats. Not sure exactly of the make sense my buddy ripped the fabric off trying to find out what brand seats where. They were pretty trashed anyway. Still they were much more comfortable. Hell I really Don't know what it would be like to drive it with a high end seat. Bet it would be awesome. That being said mine are not uncomfortable.. Can just tell they're a little loose and kind of a cheaper seat.. For A little over $400 total it was worth it.
Edit. The seats are adjustable and it comes with the tracks to slide seat. Not bad really

Re:

If you decide you are OK with a foxed back seat the empi racetrims are a good option also. I have them in my jeep and like them alot. Much better that sliding around all day in a factory seat

What are your biggest reasons against the fixed back?

I have had both and would never run the reclining back seats again. I traded for a rig with them and had I kept it they would have been ditched for some fixed back seats. Reason being, the reclining back seats... while better than stockers just don't contain you like a fixed back seat does. You slide around when on the trail and if you ride long days it absolutely wears you out.

Also, someone mentioned the APC seats. Those things are cheap for a reason. JUNK. My brothers cab truck had them in it when he bought it and the gear that holds the back up broke when we hit tub rock one night. Thought my head was going thru the damn back glass. We ended up tack welding both seats at a comfortable position to remedy it.

Re:

I'm running a pair of smittybuilts in my ranger and a pair of summit racing elcheapo's in the race jeep. I like the smittybuilts more. However with any of them make sure your harness bar is close to the seat cause the reclining piece will break.

matth_85 said:
My brothers cab truck had them in it when he bought it and the gear that holds the back up broke when we hit tub rock one night. Thought my head was going thru the damn back glass. We ended up tack welding both seats at a comfortable position to remedy it.

Sounds about like what I saw from Robbie's Corbeau recliners, only on little jagger. He hammered it, then just disappeared. Seat broke and laid him down flat in the Jeep.

rednecklights said:
I know you just said Corbeau was out of the budget but for under 400 bucks they are really worth it for the comfort.... And I'm a cheap jew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The most true statement I have read on Hardline this morning. :****:

I think I'm just a weirdo. I never got into aftermarket seats but everyone I know has em. Brands of all kinds.

You say you don't want OEMs because you want your butt to stay put? Others agreed. I personally don't have ass movement issues. Then again I'm little.

I run a factory ZJ seat. Inside the seat frame above the shoulders is a perfect place to run harness straps through and be supported.

I know this goes against what youre asking but I freakin love my seats. I never hurt after a weekend of wheeling hard. I have a full tube buggy but it's trail only.

It's been cartwheeled end over end with a 6 2" 180lb passenger in a 4 point and all mounts and seat frame is solid.

Oh and these recline and will mount to your factory mounts PLUS they dang near free :)

I'm sure you could concoct some sort of adjustable base if you really wanted. Granted, the whole seat would move but it's gonna have the comfort of minor adjustability with the lower cost of a fixed back.

1TONTJ said:
I had a set of EMPI Race Trim seats in my old rig and they were pretty good for the money but they have a fixed back. Looks like you can get a pair of the standard high backs for $280.

http://www.actionimport.com/catalog_empi/race-trim_seats.htm

I have seen these seat for $200 a pair... The two sets I have personally been around, all the material started flaking off of quickly