• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Harbor freight pipe bender mod.

cj5_jeep

Well for us poor bastards who bend pipe with their $80 harbor freight bender know that anything bent past about 30* gets dents from the outer dies not being true to form. So I'm trying something. Made two new outer dies that fit the contour of the pipe.

680f0305.jpg

38f6fb7e.jpg

I bent a test piece to about 75*~80*......No dents. It works great!

cdd416ef.jpg

dbfc16bf.jpg

Anybody interested is a set of these? These ones are for 1 1/4" pipe.

Last edited:
I just welded two ol 2 inch long chunks of angle iron to my rollers years ago. The angle slides instead of not rolling and dimpling.

Ya also need to cut the side of that bender out as close to the roller pin holes then ya can bend out of the side of a bend too.

Yep those are good ideas too.... Im just bending pipe....NOT TUBE. I haven't bent to a full 90 yet. I think I would make a set for $75 + shipping. Made from 4140 steel.

The best 90 Ive seen on a HF bender was with a custom die made from a rope shiv built up on the sides a little. It was a complete 1/2 circle that was about 16" across. The die would barley fit between the rollers on the widest setting. It would do 1.75 .095 wall fairly good, and a 90 no prob.

I just used a piece of 3/16 flat plate welded across and bent a piece up as scrap to bend the flat plate then welded the other side worked on all the sizes of dies it had :awesomework:

I use a piece of 2" tow strap on each side of the pipe in the die, and another piece of strap between the pipe and each roller.
Then when I bend, I mark the bend 3-5 times about 2" apart, and bend a little at each mark. I've got some pretty good bends with this method.

I like the machined roller idea! It would save half the headache.