• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

harlan ky /black mountain trip

bigs10blazer

first off we are from kansas, (don t hold that against us) lol , we have been to clayton ok several times and love it, we want to branch out this year, we are all very capable rigs , 43s ,one tons / 2.5 military's , locked and loaded, we can wheel !
looking at wheelin june ? too wet ? too hot ? we want the most wheelin time , most day light, close to the trails ,
looking for cabins with amenities , fuel close by or do we bring extra ?

black mountain is HUGE ! where can we stay with cabins ? and close to the killer trails ? we got gravel roads in kansas , im not driving 12 hours to kentucky for country cruising , we want the good stuff ! looking at a wednesday to saturday stay, any locals guidance ? any help would be appreciated

Re: Re: harlan ky /black mountain trip

98TJ said:
http://www.harlancountycampground.com/

Right at Putney trailhead. Fuel 1 mile from CG.
X2 on this place. We've stayed there quite a few times and can't see any reason to stay anywhere else. Especially if you're travelling a long distance because they have a little shack with welders and what not to keep you rolling all weekend.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

bigs10blazer said:
thats looks good !! i can do that, weather report ? june good for weather ? too hot ?
Just like any other place east of the Rockies. It could change any day but June is a safe bet.

98TJ said:
http://www.harlancountycampground.com/

Right at Putney trailhead. Fuel 1 mile from CG.

Unless something has changed since the hardline ride, they don't sell gas at the store anymore. :****: Sucks too. Not a deal breaker though. Most of the good hardcore trails are on the Evarts side and they have plenty of gas in town. It's a 20 minute ride across the mountain.

The Putney side has by far the nicest amenities. Great cabins and campground as well the available equipment. Get your trail passes at the campground too.

I couldn't believe how cheap the trail passes were. $30 for 30 days or $50 per year. Rausch Creek costs me like $45 PER DAY!

yotarocks said:
Some of the best traction you'll get at Black mountain is WHILE it's raining!!
Troof. My little zj buggy on 36's drug the **** out from underneath it crawling over everything in the rain, traction is awesome unless ya go to mason jar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO stay on the evarts side. Town is right there (food, fuel, restaurants) and there are some cabins you can drive to the trail head from.

http://www.visitblackmtncabins.com/

I've never stayed in these cabins. I'm just not gonna travel across the whole dang park to stay on putney side.

wizzo said:
IMO stay on the evarts side. Town is right there (food, fuel, restaurants) and there are some cabins you can drive to the trail head from.

I've never stayed in these cabins. I'm just not gonna travel across the whole dang park to stay on putney side.

x2. Evarts is the spot if you're into hardline wheeling @ Harlan. It puts you much closer to the well know obstacles (creampuff, little jagger, pony hill etc)

wizzo said:
I'm just not gonna travel across the whole dang park to stay on putney side.

It's fun if you enjoy trail riding and don't just wanna go hit hard obstacles. Adds to the experience for me. There's a lot of parks you can go straight to obstacles but it's a lot harder to find the ones that take some more effort to get to.

Putney without a doubt, everything you need but fuel and we get fuel while on the other side of the mountain. Ya it take 20 minutes to get all the way across but I'm there to ride as much as anything, plus the security is great, tools, air, welder, pressure washer ect is all available. And the bathrooms/showers are all singles and are clean with heat.

poolman said:
Putney without a doubt, everything you need but fuel and we get fuel while on the other side of the mountain. Ya it take 20 minutes to get all the way across but I'm there to ride as much as anything, plus the security is great, tools, air, welder, pressure washer ect is all available. And the bathrooms/showers are all singles and are clean with heat.
Last time I was there you could ride down to the gas station that's real close.

onepieceatatime said:
Last time I was there you could ride down to the gas station that's real close.

I'm Oct they were changing owners and was not sure they would carry gas. So I just go to the other side, or bring gas cans.

We've stayed a few times on the Everts side at Black Moutain thumb.gif and the last time at Putney :flipgotcha:. Thats the last time will stay at Putney. It rained and that 30 ride in the mud over that moutain sucked.

We always stay in Everts and bring fuel or just go into town they have a nice shower house down at the tracks at that camp ground. Breaking something and staying on the Putney side sucks trying to get back Evarts side I you can get your truck and trailer a long way up the hill to get a broken rig out. Putney does have a great setup all but gas, food and the road up into the park. June is a good time especially early in the month not super humid and can night ride all night without getting cold it's a awesome park it will be worth your time and effort

wizzo said:

We always stay on the Evarts side at these cabins. Its impossible to beat. You have your own private showers, kitchen, good security, DAIRY HUT (need I say more?????), and the toothless moonshine guy....

Evarts 100% is my vote :stir:

Man I don't get why everybody hates the ride up the Putney side, first year I went the group I was with had a race to the top, that was a white knuckle ride lol. I love that hill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts