• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Have all the old Flattie frames been hacked?

wrecker1

So I've been looking at the early flat-fender Jeeps lately. Every one of them has a hacked on frame, especially around the steering box (stock or modified).
are they all like this now? Am I doomed to have to get a Wrangler becasue I can't find a Flattie that looks like it would be reliable for a short-cruise DD?
I'm not worried about the engine, or drivetrain as long as it runs, but I don't have the skills to reman a frame, and I sure can't aford to buy an aftermarket frame (and then I'd have to rebuild the entire Jeep to match, and who has time for that?)

wrecker said:
So I've been looking at the early flat-fender Jeeps lately. Every one of them has a hacked on frame, especially around the steering box (stock or modified).
are they all like this now? Am I doomed to have to get a Wrangler becasue I can't find a Flattie that looks like it would be reliable for a short-cruise DD?
I'm not worried about the engine, or drivetrain as long as it runs, but I don't have the skills to reman a frame, and I sure can't aford to buy an aftermarket frame (and then I'd have to rebuild the entire Jeep to match, and who has time for that?)

If you buy a flattie---you gotta be ready to put some lovin into it...

crash said:
If you buy a flattie---you gotta be ready to put some lovin into it...

No ****:hi:

Mine the frame is all stock just the steering box got moved forward for some reason not sure what advantages that brings but im sure you can find one:;

Yeah, the older Jeep frames are not known for being the strongest, especially in the steering box area, which is probably why all the ones you're looking at have been beefed up and/or repaired in that area.

NotMatt said:
Yeah, the older Jeep frames are not known for being the strongest, especially in the steering box area, which is probably why all the ones you're looking at have been beefed up and/or repaired in that area.

i guess i mis-spoke mine has plating on the frame around the steering box, but thats only going to help the frame be stronger.

Wrecker are you talking about frames that have been cut for some reason or just have additional strength or what?

wrecker said:
BUY MINE..
It is a 42 MB
with 4.3TBI
T-18 Transmission
Modal 18 Transfercase(Large Case)
Dana 44 Front with detroit truetrac
Dana 44 Rear With warn full floater kit
5.38 Gears
33x12.50/15 swampers
Full cage
and lots more things
This is a turn key vehicle and wheel (street legal)

PM me for price if Interested
PS sell because I have now Two jeep the other is a YJ.

NotMatt said:
I nominate this for understatement of the year!:clappy:

Flatfender frames are paper thin and break when you hit a speed bump. It doesn't help that they are all about 50-60 years old either. You'll probably be happier with a wrangler as there are plenty of stock and aftermarket parts easily and cheaply available. Also, the frame isn't an issue.

Tankota said:
I nominate this for understatement of the year!:clappy:

Flatfender frames are paper thin and break when you hit a speed bump. It doesn't help that they are all about 50-60 years old either. You'll probably be happier with a wrangler as there are plenty of stock and aftermarket parts easily and cheaply available. Also, the frame isn't an issue.

Mine hasnt broke yet *knocks on wood* and only beefing up it has is some plating around the front suspension compnents and the steering box.....id like to get the body off in the next year or so and plate the whole thing though im getting kinda worried about that poor 66 year old frame:D

Although im looking at buying another willy's this weekend for 4 grand, right here in little ol' mountlake terrace too, if i dont buy it i will let you know so you can come look at it too sounds like a sweet deal if you ask me

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/car/293851455.html

what year frame are you looking for? My neighbor has one (flatty 2A)and then I have a 74 cj-5 one as well. also have a early bronco frame and their almost as heavy as a landcrusher frame.

Been looking for a Flattie to run back and forth to work this summer, and tow out to the trails on weekends. I don't have a lot of time to work on anything, with 2 jobs and a house falling in around my ears, so I want a decent one ( I know, good luck finding that).
The other problem is the wife complaining she can't drive it (too tall) and with no back seat the baby seat thing don't work.
So I think I'm stuck getting a newer one than what I want.

Funny thing is, I have a modified frame for a flattie sitting in the yard (thanx Heep!), just no time to build it. And with no VIN, its useless as a street rig.

Oh well, maybe I'll be joining the Wrangler ranks soon. My dream lives on in my head, at least......

wrecker said:
Been looking for a Flattie to run back and forth to work this summer, and tow out to the trails on weekends. I don't have a lot of time to work on anything, with 2 jobs and a house falling in around my ears, so I want a decent one ( I know, good luck finding that).
The other problem is the wife complaining she can't drive it (too tall) and with no back seat the baby seat thing don't work.
So I think I'm stuck getting a newer one than what I want.

Funny thing is, I have a modified frame for a flattie sitting in the yard (thanx Heep!), just no time to build it. And with no VIN, its useless as a street rig.

Oh well, maybe I'll be joining the Wrangler ranks soon. My dream lives on in my head, at least......

Check out that link i posted sounds like a really good deal!

It does sound good. too bad I gotta work all weekend again (easter's coming and its a busy time for my plant delivery job) or I'd try and get up there. Are you going to go for it?

heres one I've been drooling over. gotta love the 260 V-8 in it. Just no time to set up a time to look at it right now.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/car/293006410.html

Last edited:
i got a non hacked 51 frame im not gonna use ifn someone wants it. it does not come with a title im using that for the buggy.

wrecker said:
It does sound good. too bad I gotta work all weekend again (easter's coming and its a busy time for my plant delivery job) or I'd try and get up there. Are you going to go for it?

heres one I've been drooling over. gotta love the 260 V-8 in it. Just no time to set up a time to look at it right now.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/car/293006410.html

Im going to look at it is all not sure about buying it, i can let you know how it looks though condition and what not. Basically my dad wants me to sell the willy's i got now and get one that is more finished for some reason. So to make him happy im gonna go look at it

That one is awesome its even got the overdrive kit on it, would make a sweet daily driver!