• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Head gasket anyone?

Bunk1

That nice azzhole
Well i guess its a common problem to have the headgasket on a 12v leak at the right front corner. Mine has been doing it for a year or so and ive been keeping a eye on it...today at the emission station i realized that its time to get it taken care of. Is this a huge azz painfull job that should be left to a shop? Or can it be done with basic hand tools and time? I figure the main issue is bleading the injector lines once its all done...

Anyone have direct input on this???

I've never messed with a diesel. But I'm sure the same rules apply. resurface head, new gasket, put it back together. As far as bleeding the injector lines, I think you brake them loose, prime it, until fuel comes out, then tighten them?? I don't know for sure but I'm sure you can figure it out. It would probably cost a grand or more at a shop. Good luck. This would actually be a good write-up if you did it yourself. :awesomework:

I think if you can build a buggy you can change a head gasket... You don't really need any special tools... your trucks going to be down for a while, when the heads off getting machined... you can buy a whole gasket kit from cummins that has more gaskets than you'll ever need:awesomework: and with the injectors, prime the pump like you would when you change out the filter, crank her over till you get fuel at the top of the pump, and tighten those down... then crank some more till you get fuel at the injectors, and you should be good...

You should have no problem doing it:awesomework:

did one on a early dodge 12v back in wyoming. no harder than doing a 22re. can be done with all basic hand tool. if you decide to do it, lmk, id be more than happy to lend an extra hand:awesomework:

I think if you can build a buggy you can change a head gasket... You don't really need any special tools... your trucks going to be down for a while, when the heads off getting machined... you can buy a whole gasket kit from cummins that has more gaskets than you'll ever need:awesomework: and with the injectors, prime the pump like you would when you change out the filter, crank her over till you get fuel at the top of the pump, and tighten those down... then crank some more till you get fuel at the injectors, and you should be good...

You should have no problem doing it:awesomework:

See even I could do it :redneck: . I think you can handle it bunk. Hell it might be easier than a gaser.

piece-o-cake.. You know how to get ahold of me if you need anything. I had the guy up in Bonney Lake rebuild my head. Same guy MikeR goes to for the powershop machining. I think I was into it for less then 400 for everything.. and another 425 for the studs. You might need a special puller for the injectors. I can bring that down and help you pull those too.

an engine hoist is a good thing to have during the job. If you set the head down wrng you can pinch the gasket and then do the job all over again. Be careful not to pinch it.:beer:

ya they are not that bad to do.. if you need your head checked/machined let me know i work at a machine shop.