• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

header vs manifold, 4.0

Lucky Jeff

Which ones the better route? The newer updated manifolds or an aftermarket header? If a header, which one? I really don't care about power gains. They aren't enough to make a difference anyways. My ZJ is getting louder and louder, and since it's getting a bunch of rework shortly, I might as well fix the noise issue as well :redneck:

I assume you have a cracked stock manifold and that's what this post is about...

The stock manifold is already a tube and flange design. As far as performance gains go, I really can't see any in the "headers" that are on the market on a stock motor. Why else would you get a "header"?

Just get a new stock one with the updated design with the bellows so that it doesn't crack again.

Or just do what I do... sandblast and weld up the stock manifold and add some re-inforcement, and know that you probably won't own the Jeep long enough (or not have occasion to take the driver's side of the motor apart again) to have to fix it again. It's really a simple job once the manifold is off the motor.

Do NOT waste any money on the aftermarket headers. They're ALL crap and they ALL break. We've had the best luck with the e-bay specials (typically <$90 shipped) that have the newer style accordion expansion joints in them. I've installed dozens with no come-backs.

It's been a decade since I saw the stock setup, so yea, I forgot.

Sounds good to me John! It's not very often that the cheap route is the better route :cheer:

cheap route here too!

welded up/reinforced as mentioned earlier and works great. got mine for $20 at the local pickapart.

Theres a thread on pirate of YJcoreys orange Jeep he raced at KOH2011 and he used a welded up stock manifold on his 4.6 stroker

the kolak header is a nice looking piece with significantly longer tubes.
a nice weld might cost ya like $20 and no shipping though. mine's lasted years and years.

The problem with welding is that most of the '91+ style break all the way down inside the collector where the tubes all come together and it's a PITA to get in there.

<hmmm, maybe why the old dudes who did mine charged me 20 instead of 10.
jeep guys just love to order parts tho, as you know.
(thanks for the extremely fast shipping on that 44a locker btw:awesomework:)

The problem with welding is that most of the '91+ style break all the way down inside the collector where the tubes all come together and it's a PITA to get in there.

Yes totally true, it all depends on how long it's been neglected. Small cracks in easy to weld locations can be done easily. I've seen HO manifolds that are cracked all the way around with only one of the tubes holding it together at the collector... so, your mileage may vary on the weld-up method, but I've usually had good luck as long as it wasn't too cracked/broken.