• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Heat sink HOT HOT.

Jeepless

Sleep deprived and proud
So I got my Pile running again. HOwever when I run it around the garage the esc's heat sink gets HOT as hell. I am runnig the Goat Crawler Brushless System, 7 cell NiMH, I moved the thing around to let it breath a bit and was not hammering on it. Just want to know if there is a better way to disburse the heat, if there is an issue I am over looking or if it is expected.

just out of curiosity did you have the battery pack plugged in with the power switch off for any legnth of time prior to driving it?

Crash and I both lost Goat systems bc we had our batteries plugged in and the power off. And my ESC was also smoking hot when it happened.

edit: lesson to be learned, unplug your battery don't use the power switch.

There is no power switch on this one :redneck: I lost it in a roll over in "saltwater" OOPs I know, I thought I got it all out but apparrently that little basturd switch holds water.

I was curious if that is the problem, however it doesn't sound that way.

Has anyone put a fan on one of these yet? It works well just gets hot.

Well I guess I haven't noticed it until I had the "top off" goofin in the shop. Toinight I took it for a spin around the hood at a good clip, and it really didn't get much hotter so I think I am going to run it. If I burn it up I will just have to buy a new one:rolleyes:

NOW I have to fingure out this damn third channel thing without burning up another servo:haha:

I won't run another Novak anything after my experience with the last brushless setup I bought from them (SS5800, burned up 5 mins into an easy run, didn't even get warm, just quit. Warrentied it and then it did the same to my friend after 3 weeks) but there are fans available or you can find another heat sink to add on.

Get yourself one of these
http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=5648/135.0

It plugs into the terminals beside the heatsinks. It attaches to the heatsink with screws that thread down into the "ridges" on the heatsinks.

As for what is the best ESC to run, I persoanlly prefer brushed systems. If buying new, I would get a Tekin FxR, and a 35 or 45 turn motor, or a Holmes Hobbies puller motor, if I had the room in the chassis to house the motor and a large enough battery to feed it. But that's just my preference.

T.

Get yourself one of these
http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=5648/135.0

As for what is the best ESC to run, I persoanlly prefer brushed systems. If buying new, I would get a Tekin FxR, and a 35 or 45 turn motor, or a Holmes Hobbies puller motor, if I had the room in the chassis to house the motor and a large enough battery to feed it. But that's just my preference.

T.

x2 mamba max is nice i have one. removed it in favor of the fxr, drag brake that will stop it and flip it over forward...:awesomework::awesomework::awesomework: if you set ift that tight... can't do that with a mamba max... i tried the brushless setups, went back to brushed...